WD Community

My Passport & My Book Drives won't mount or mount read-only

For two weeks, I’ve been getting read-only errors with my My Book 8TB drive, which I use only for Time Machine. Yesterday both it and my My Passport drive disappeared when I restarted. I tried mounting both drives to three different Macs running Sierra and High Sierra.

I can temporarily mount the drives by going into terminal and killing fsck, but they show as read-only. I’ve tried repairing both drives using both Disk Utility and Paragon NTFS, but nothing has worked. The My Passport drive was purchased on June 7, and the My Book drive was purchased on Dec 27, so these are pretty new. How could they fail so quickly? Seems like a common problem with no solution other than to buy yet another drive to save out all the files and reformat, with no guarantee that these drives will not fail again.

Hi bluepupae,

Maybe, you should contact WD’s Technical support about this. You can refer the link given below for the same.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

The link below will allow you to call support.

Support for Western Digital Hard Drives | Western Digital

Still Need Help?

Reach out to Support for more assistance.

Sign in to Your Support Account

Get up-to-date information about your products.

Western Digital Business Portal

Unlock benefits and tools for your business such as enterprise support, pricing and rebate tools, marketing, loyalty, rewards, and more.