My Passport Driver missing

My PC Windows 7 wont install my external drive (My passport) . I have installed the drivers but still does not pick it up. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Community.

Are you able to share the exact model/part number of your WD Passport for reference purposes? Most units should automatically install drivers (When needed) directly from Windows Update when the computer is connected to the Internet.

The MyPassport should be visible even without the driver - all that is needed for is for the more advanced features like encryption. When you say it’s not visible do you mean that the drive does not show up at all when you plug it in, or that it does show up but can’t install the driver?

You will need suitable admin priviledges on your Windows account to install the drivers (this is how I know that the MyPassport works fine without the SES driver, as my work computer is locked down and I can’t install it, but I can use my MP unencrypted without any issue at all).

Is there any error or notification showing in the Windows Action Centre in the taskbar (the small flag icon down near the clock in the toolbar).

1 Like

My Passport

WDBACX0010BBk-00

Device Manager shows WD SES, but not my Passport.

Unit Used to show flashing led when plugged in, then notice on ‘what do you want to do’…

Now it shows steady light and note says INSTALLING SES drivers.

Than RED X saying driver not installed.

Is not the way it previously worked.

Win 7 Pro

have you tried changing the USB cable? It’s possible for the connector to be the one at fault.

Usb cable is an unusual configuration.

Checking for a replacement, although I doubt it being at fault.

The unit does trigger ‘installing driver’, and hums indicating unit it running.

But still the notice ‘driver not successfully installed’.

thanks for the response.

1 Like

If necessary you can try a standard micro-USB (USB2) cable. That should work as well, just slower.

For your general issue, have you also tried it on a different computer, or a different USB port on your machine itself? I would wonder a little if the port on your machine is not supplying enough power to run the drive for some reason.

If it is the problem of driver, you need to uninstall the driver completely then install a correct driver to let it work. 

Go to Device Manager and find your external drive to see whether there is a yellow exclamation mark on it. If yes, you may need to fix the driver.