My Passport Copying files/ removing drive issue

I have been using My Passport for several years with no trouble, connecting the drive about every 5 times when using the PC. Now Smartware never finishes “Copying files” and completing the “data backed up”. I can no longer safely remove the drive without shutting down the PC. Looking at other forum topics I have “unchecked” the drive properties for file indexing, removed Norton Security network drive scanning and run the WD Utilities “complete drive test” to no avail. The PC has now been on six hours and I changed several small documents but not all files are visible yet under Retrieve.
Is the software still playing catch-up, in a loop or what? Ideas would be welcome. Many thanks.

Hi Paul862,

Did you try to use the updated version of WD SmartWare(Version: 2.4.20)?

Hi Brandon.P,
I am still running on 2.4.16. Looking at the release notes for.20 it does not say that it has any fixes but only removes options - is this not the case? Should I use the updated version. I am also using Firmware version 1007 on my Win 10 Creators.

I have had My Passport connected again for 5 hours with Smartware open- It finally backed up with the tick, then immediately reverted to "copying files without me creating or modifying any. Looking at the Retrieve folder it looks like my files are copying but very slowly a day or so late. This never used to be the case. “Safely remove My Passport Ultra” now works periodically.

Is there an option/ solution to create a new/ replacement Backup - use WD Utilities to delete just the Backup and leave all the other data on the My Passport drive. When I open Drive Erase is has “My Passport Ultra” in the Volume Name, would I have to name the path to the Volume.b1ad… etc folder. Would WD Smartware then allow me to create a new Backup.

Sorry for asking so many questions.
Paul862

Hi Paul862,

You should try to reinstall updated version of WD SmartWare from Support portal.

And if you want to delete only backed up files, you need to manually remove the backed up folder from the drive storage. You may refer below link to view backed up files.

Note: Remove of backed up folder is a data destructive process and can’t be undone after deletion.
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=15143