My Cloud Firmware 4.01.04.42​2 Feedback

Bill_S wrote:

Due to confusion caused by variety of user of experiences, I’ve separated this thread into its own topic and called it My Cloud Firmware 4.01.04.42​​2 Feedback.

Please feel free to continue…

Thanks Bill for separating this thread out on it’s own. It keeps the sticky threads much cleaner and easier to navigate. :wink:

SectorGZ wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

Due to confusion caused by variety of user of experiences, I’ve separated this thread into its own topic and called it My Cloud Firmware 4.01.04.42​​2 Feedback.

Please feel free to continue…

Thanks Bill for separating this thread out on it’s own. It keeps the sticky threads much cleaner and easier to navigate. :wink:

You’re welcome.

this firmware burned at least 15 hours of my time,  until I reverted back to v03.04.01-230.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.  So, if you read this and then install  4.01.04.42​2, don’t complain like I did.  Just revert back asap.

Or better yet, skip anything with v4 in it.

Horrible user experience. (is this just bad technology?)

Unfortunate auto update has rendered this hardware useless. Cannot delete files. Cannot access remotely. Cannot access with desktop app. I don’t know what else it cannot do because I’ve given up wasting my time. Not to mention BS with Java incompatibilities and security vulnerabilities.

Without control over my files this product is nothing more than a boat anchor weighing down my network and everything attached to it.

to regain use follow these instructions

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Easy-method-to-downgrade-to-previous-version-of-the-firmware/m-p/773073/highlight/true#M18956

worked fine for me

I had no problem with the update

/since this forum is primarily for people with problems, I’d suspect that the upgrade is working for most people, otherwise there would be thousands of complaints here.

My only point is that for those of us, for whom the upgrades aren’t working, I can’t recommend applying it,  If someone reads my warnings and still goes ahead with it and it doesn’t work, I provided the link on how to revert.

After FW update Yosemite cannot find Time Machine Backup Disk anymore.

I am running version v04.01.03-421, I blocked all external access at my router, so have only noticed the upgrade when I switched off the rule to get NTP time updates.  Its been several days sinse the release, and I do not think i’m prepared to update untill a stable firmware is released.  All my data is backed up, but if i need to spend many hours with the drive again, that is time I cannot recover.

I’m nervous about installing this firmware upgrade.

In the release notes, there is no mention about the Capacity bug.  Has this been fixed?  

Will the wdmcserverd & wdphotodbmergerd services still run if all media and cloud services are stopped from the web GUI

After hearing reports of the drive taking several hours to initialise after updates, I expect it will be the twonky services reindexing the drive.

I currently have disabled the following services:

wdmcserverd

wdphotodbmergerd

If anyone had these services disabled, prior to the update, I expect that these will start after the update.  Has anyone noticed this?

You have been warned … if you value your time, as you say you do … do not upgrade the F/W

Paul010 wrote:

I am running version v04.01.03-421, I blocked all external access at my router, so have only noticed the upgrade when I switched off the rule to get NTP time updates.  Its been several days sinse the release, and I do not think i’m prepared to update untill a stable firmware is released.  All my data is backed up, but if i need to spend many hours with the drive again, that is time I cannot recover.

I’m nervous about installing this firmware upgrade.

In the release notes, there is no mention about the Capacity bug.  Has this been fixed?  

Will the wdmcserverd & wdphotodbmergerd services still run if all media and cloud services are stopped from the web GUI

After hearing reports of the drive taking several hours to initialise after updates, I expect it will be the twonky services reindexing the drive.

I currently have disabled the following services:

wdmcserverd

wdphotodbmergerd

If anyone had these services disabled, prior to the update, I expect that these will start after the update.  Has anyone noticed this?

Hello,

I have had only one issue after upgrade: the read speed over my network droped from 300 Mbps to 60 Mbps. The write speed droped from 50 Mbps to 9 Mbps.

I have alread checked cables. rebooted computer and router. Read and write speed to my media player have no change. Only changed speed for WD My Cloud.

time to revert as previously indicated

admoraes

how long have you let it sit after the upgrade?

these are very low powered devices and can easily take many hours to settle down after major operations. and rebooting or powering off the mycloud will just make it start over and take longer yet.

if the mycloud has been left running and inactive for over a day then start looking for other issues

edit: Also if you are using a USB disk on the mycloud disconnect this until it is stable, then add it back

I haven’t seen this feedback in this thread yet but this is a new issue that I’ve seen after I upgraded to the new firmware. After the update, my FTP transfers keep failing.   The transfer will begin and after some time (I’ve yet to check if it’s the same time), the connection stalls.  I’ll get either a timeout error “Connection closed by server” or a “Connection reset by peer” error.     I never used to have any issues with FTP transfers in the past.

I’ve disabled most services already (cloud access, SSH, DLNA) but it hasn’t made a difference.

I can resume my transfer but it’ll just fail after a while.

I’m not sure if it’s related but when I look at my router’s log, it looks like the WD unit is re-connecting to the LAN every 10 seconds.  Here’s an snap of the log. Look at the time stamp, it’s every 10 seconds.

May 19 17:36:37 user.notice: ncc[142]: [ltNotice]00:bb:3a:87:a3:9d(192.168.0.100) join Lan Network
May 19 17:36:27 user.notice: ncc[142]: [ltNotice]00:bb:3a:87:a3:9d(192.168.0.100) join Lan Network
May 19 17:36:17 user.notice: ncc[142]: [ltNotice]00:bb:3a:87:a3:9d(192.168.0.100) join Lan Network
May 19 17:36:07 user.notice: ncc[142]: [ltNotice]00:bb:3a:87:a3:9d(192.168.0.100) join Lan Network
May 19 17:35:57 user.notice: ncc[142]: [ltNotice]00:bb:3a:87:a3:9d(192.168.0.100) join Lan Network
May 19 17:35:47 user.notice: ncc[142]: [ltNotice]00:bb:3a:87:a3:9d(192.168.0.100) join Lan Network
May 19 17:35:37 user.notice: ncc[142]: [ltNotice]00:bb:3a:87:a3:9d(192.168.0.100) join Lan Network

Any ideas?  Or is this a bug introduced to this firmware.

I found that having a USB Mybook attached caused the Mycloud to disconnect from the LAN

Ya, I had read that in an earlier post so I unplugged it but it didn’t make a difference.

The WD folks got in touch to inquire and assist. One 4TB device is being returned to the retailer as this provides the simplest solution for me. A second 4TB device was found to be in OK shape after some other issues were mostly resolved. Having to use Internet Explorer is not really an option when a Windows machine is not always available, but the device does work.

So +1 for WD support - they were quite helpful and patient.

As for the My Cloud, it seems far too easy to lose everything. I’m still not convinced that I should use it for anything that is not backed-up somewhere else, which kind of defeats the purpose for me. The WD EX series looks more appropriate, but being based on the same firmware/technology …

The prime reason I got a My Cloud was because my trusty EX485 server is no longer supported by HP and won’t do Time Machine backups. Now I need to explore options all over again :(.

Since manually updating to this latest firmware, I have had a problem with my computers on my LAN losing access to the Web Dashboard interface (generally I can generally access shares thru windows explorer, and sometimes I can access them through the WD My Cloud desktop software).

I have tried rebooting, and doing system restores, but most of the time I am unable to access that because I cannot get to the dashboard (I get a “Connection Refused” message in Chrome and Firefox). So sometimes I have to unplug the unit and plug it back in.

Whenever I do a reboot, restore, unplug/plug in, I am able to access the dashboard again (in fact, it is responsive and fast for the first few attempts). I let the drive complete a scan (and don’t touch anything while it is scanning). Once the scan is done, it works ok for a while, but usually by the next morning I am unable to access the dashboard again.

I have turned off sleep mode for the My Cloud drive (I have a 4TB MC), and I have a 4 TB WD My Book attached to the USB port of the MC.

Thank you larryg0,

My device was updated at may, 13. I have disconnected any USB device attached on it.

Now I made a system restore, turned itunes server and dnla server off. I have made a quick and complete test and it ok. No error. But writing and reed speed are slow yet.

My cloud is connected directly to gigabit router, and my iMac is connected directy too. And the third device is connecte directly too. Only writing and reading speeds os My Cloud has droped after upgrade.