My Book Live formatting from Windows to Mac

My Network Drive was fine storing images on my windows system; now I have gone over to an iMac and I can’t get the thing to work at all.  I have done the following:

1.  The Mac ‘saw’ the drive (but wouldn’t write to it) so I transfered all the files from it to the Mac HD.

2.  I tried to use the Mac Disk Utility to make the drive useable with a mac but it was not recognised.  I 'phoned Apple about this and they said Disk Utility won’t recognise Network Drives (or at least won’t work  with them).

3.  My only recourse was to try and use the WD installation disk and try to do something to enable the mac to write to it so I used ‘Set to Factory Defaults’ facility.  This took three or four hours but got there in the end.

4.  I have tried to write Pages files to it but it says there’s not enough disk space.  (I remember seeing somewhere a figure of 3GB ‘usage’.

I want to format the **bleep** thing so the iMac can read and write to it, and use it for backup and images storage but don’t know what to do next.

Please help.

andymac wrote:

My Network Drive was fine storing images on my windows system; now I have gone over to an iMac and I can’t get the thing to work at all.

How? Using what program? Do you know MOST programs made to create a Windows-based image CAN’T restore files to a Mac (And the opposite is true as well)? Unless you were doing it manually (That is, just a clean copy/paste) then here’s your first problem.

andymac wrote:

1.  The Mac ‘saw’ the drive (but wouldn’t write to it) so I transfered all the files from it to the Mac HD.

Did you try to map it (Go> connect to server> SMB://mybooklive) ? The file system of the drive is EXT3 so unless the Mac itself had something wrong (OR something was done wrong) then you SHOULD have write permissions.

andymac wrote:

2.  I tried to use the Mac Disk Utility to make the drive useable with a mac but it was not recognised.  I 'phoned Apple about this and they said Disk Utility won’t recognise Network Drives (or at least won’t work  with them).

This is also true on Disk Management on Windows.

andymac wrote:

3.  My only recourse was to try and use the WD installation disk and try to do something to enable the mac to write to it so I used ‘Set to Factory Defaults’ facility.  This took three or four hours but got there in the end.

Again, the drive SHOULD have worked out of the box with the computer unless the drive itself or the computer had a problem, but it seems the drive was never mapped… Manually.

andymac wrote:

4.  I have tried to write Pages files to it but it says there’s not enough disk space.  (I remember seeing somewhere a figure of 3GB ‘usage’.

Again, nothing related.

andymac wrote:

I want to format the **bleep** thing so the iMac can read and write to it, and use it for backup and images storage but don’t know what to do next.

Please help.

What router is it? Did you try to PING it on Network Utility? Can you see the drive on FINDER?

Thanks Pizza; lots of things to look at here.

Will have a go.

Many thanks