My Book Essential Wdbacw0030HBK (-01) doesn't work anymore (making noise)

Hi,

So, I have this Wd My Book Essential Wdbacw0030HBK (-01) 3Tb model since 1 year and now it doesn’t work.

The drive makes noises when it is powered on, similar to what you can hear in this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E8-5jXlZvo

Nothing happens when it is plugged to my laptop (not recognized). 

The last thing I did before the disk fail: I copied some files (<5 gb) from my laptop to the external drive, one of those files had a long name (there was a warning message),  then I set the computer to sleep mode, after about 30 minutes turned on the computer and the drive didn’t work anymore.

What do you think about this problem ? I read forums on this web site, but I didn’t find a similar problem.yet…thank you in advance for any suggestion.

Conf : Win 7 Home X64

Regards

Hello, you can check if the My Book is still recognized on the disk management window. If it is recognized, run a test with DLG, this way you can verify if the My Book files are corrupted or it has a hardware problem.

How to access Disk Management in Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 to manage hard drives 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows 

Thanks for the advice.

I checked disk recognition in disk management already and it is not there.

Another option you can try is using another USB cable, if that fails then the My Book would appear to be faulty, to replace it you can follow the steps from the link below. 

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty