My Book 8tb vs Easystore 8tb

I’m looking for the technical difference between the My Book 8tb and the EasyStore 8tb external drives? I know the warranty is 2 vs 3 yr, leading me to believe the MyBook has a better drive or controller, for a lower failure rate? Or is the difference just marketing to sell a more expensive drive.

I asked this question via the pre-sales form, but got no response.

I will reformat them for Mac, using Carbon Copy software for backup. Not using WD software.

Honestly, I have 12 older WD external drives 2TB to 6TB, and 4 Seagate Backup Plus 8TB drives. I need to replace some of the older drives, and trying to justify the $20-$30 price difference. In the past I ran WD drives, backed up to Seagate drives. Lately because of prices I’ve only been using the Seagates, which have been getting great ratings lately, even with slightly worse failure rate.

Hi,

The EasyStore is a new version of the WD external desktop units.

See if the following links help with specs about the drives.

https://www.cnet.com/products/wd-easystore-wdbcka0080hbk-hard-drive-8-tb-usb-3-0/specs/

1 Like

Thanks for the attempt, but most c|net and other such places are pretty useless. They tell you nothing. Not a single useful spec of info about the drive nor the controller. Just cords, cables, interfaces, and physical properties of the case. I would think the drive itself would be an important part of the specs. After all, what is an external hard drive be without a drive, lol.

I opened up my WD easystore 8tb case to peek at the hard drive. I just bought this at Best Buy in Las Vegas on July 7, 2017. Notice that my red drive has 256MB of cache which is double that of older models, and was dated 10 May 2017. I bought this for $199 which is a hundred dollars off of Best Buy’s list price of $299.