Multiple Macs Time Machine Backup

I am trying to backup two different macs via Time Machine. One of them backs up fine, the other mac keeps giving me an error message that the disk image cannot be created. The sparsebundle for the mac that can’t back shows up in the TimeMachinebackup folder for a few minutes with a very long name (not the computer name) and then it disappears after which I get the error message.
I have tried resetting EVEYTHING, even assigned a static IP to the drive (read that somewhere else) but nothing works.

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: Why Initial macOS Time Machine Backup Fail?

What MacOS are you using? Since Catalina (10.15), you can back up to any SMB server that is continuously available. About feature additions in macOS for SMB 2 and 3 - Apple Support You don’t need a static IP if your router is correctly configured to recognize the host name you have given to the MyCloud.
From the MyCloud webgui, create a share (i.e. TMbackup) and give the mac users read/write access.
From the Finder on each mac: Go > Connect to server > smb://Username@MyCloud/TMbackup > (enter password when requested)
From Time Machine Preferences > Select Disk > (select TMbackup on MyCloud)
That is it - backups will happen when scheduled.

If you are running MyCloud Gen.1 and are comfortable to ssh into your MyCloud, you can tweak some of the config files to improve operability with Macs: SOLVED: Tweaking Samba/SMB2 for Mac & Androids - #7 by joewdex

Is this current for 2020?

Do you create a separate shared folder for each user?

I’ve stumbled on the Public folder and see there’s a pre-installed Time Machine volume there, but it seems it can take work to enable two users to use it.

I only obtained My Cloud a few days ago and don’t want to go into config files.

Thanks for whatever you can share.

Generally each Mac will create it’s own Time Machine Backup in what ever location one chooses for that backup.

On the single bay/single drive My Cloud, note the My Cloud Home is a completely different device with different options and features, there is only one Share named Public. There are separate default Shares, Time Machine and SmartWare, that are not in the main Public Share. As each User is created through the My Cloud Dashboard a Share with that user’s name is also created.

So long as a Share is configured for Public any user who accesses the My Cloud can access that Share. When a Share is set to Private each User account on the My Cloud can be configured for; no access, read only access, or full access to that Share.

If one hasn’t done so they may want to read through the My Cloud User Manual which explains (generally) how to use the various features, including Time Machine Backups, of the single bay/single drive My Cloud.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/126

Thank you.

Turns out there was no problem, after all.

It appears that My Cloud Home can only show me one Public share at a time. If I unmont the Retrospect folder, the Time Machine share comes back. Plus, the Time Machine app could always see the Time Machine share even when the Finder couldn’t.

I did read the user manual and didn’t find what I was looking for.

Best,

Ken

In the future you should see the My Cloud Home subforum where users more familiar with that device can assist if you have additional issues or problems.

The My Cloud line uses a completely different operating system and has different features, settings and options than the My Cloud Home line has.

Oops. Didn’t notice this wasn’t My Cloud Home.

My Cloud Home isn’t working out for us. Its OS and web app are imposing too many obstacles. The elimination of the Desktop App (though still described in the User Manual) is a frustration.

Sending it back and going to repurpose an old Mac with large attached USB drive as a simpler solution for home file sharing. Mac plugged directly into router will make traffic fast enough for our purposes.

The My Cloud Desktop app (if the My Cloud Home also used it) has been End of Life since 2016. WD currently hasn’t replaced it. Over the years WD has removed a number of useful features (some undocumented) with the My Cloud line.

As more than a few have discovered, the My Cloud Home device often ends up being a step down and much more limited/restricted device than the My Cloud line of products.

1 Like