Movie metadata information WD DNLA Media Server

Hello,

I have a WD My Book Live with the latest firmware running (WD DNLA Media Server). How can I get metadata information (plot, movie cover, rating) added and displayed on my Samsung Smart TV?

Thanks for your help,

Marc

MarcBee wrote:How can I get metadata information … displayed on my Samsung Smart TV?

You can’t.  In general, DLNA doesn’t do that.

Certain DLNA client and server combinations have pseudo-proprietary extensions that allow it (Plex Client / server, for example) but without a specific combination running at both ends, it’s not possible.

Sure about that? No mp4/flv Tag support in WD DNLA MS?

Edit: Just checked for mp4 files in my collection: if you have meta information like “performer” in mp4 files, some of this info will show up accordingly - e.g. “performer” will show up in the “actors” category. Same goes for the “year” field.

Hi,

do you know if at least  thumbnails (jpeg files with a specific name like cover.jpp) or .nfo or similar are supported?

I wouldn’t mind to have a script run over the library and create these specific/additional files/folders.

Do you know on which DLNA server WD media server is based on?

Just for comparison serviio supports the following:  http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12

Thanks,
Marc

Haidube wrote:

Sure about that? No mp4/flv Tag support in WD DNLA MS?

Excellent point.  When I think of metadata, my mind always jumps to .nfo or .xml-based metadata.

Many DLNA clients / servers independently support various forms of imbedded metadata.

So I have to jump out, because I have no idea what the combination of WD DLNA and Samsung support.

Anyway, thanks Tony for your input.

If anyone else has an opinion on this, I would appreciate it.

thanks,

marc

Anyone? :neutral_face:

Cheers,
Marc

@Marc: I had some time to observe what WD DNLA is storing in the DB, here’s what I came up with:

upnp_class
upnp_artist
upnp_album
upnp_genre
upnp_OriginalTrackNumber
upnp_albumArtURI_original
upnp_albumArtURI_profile
upnp_albumArtURI_tn
upnp_containerUpdateID
upnp_rating

That’s all the visible info, the thing you might be missing is “plot description” - genre and cover art can be displayed. Maybe Twonky Media Server is more powerfull?

1 Like

Hi Haidube,

thanks for your work and your reply. I would actually be quite happy if I could display the metadata you’ve listed, but I think the bottleneck is then my samsung smart tv or somewhere in-between.

Maybe someone with a Samsung tv can comment, otherwise I don’t know where to take it from here…

thanks,

marc