Mounting in Linux

I have a respi setup for downloaidng and am having a real taks trying to mount the Drive connected to the TV Live unit.

Keep getting the error “cifs filesystem not supported” I have spent the last 3 hours on google, even tried loading on BRads firmware which it will not detect anyway, and seeing as its brand new my preference would be to not have to fiddle anymore than I have too.

Is it even possible to mount the drive on linux so that I can write to its folders?

Tried manual mounts

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.15/Movies_Series /mnt/External -o user=,password=,workgroup=WORKGROUP

My fstab entry is:

//192.168.0.15/WDTVLive /mnt/External cifs username=guest,password=,nounix,uid=root,gid=root,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

Neither are working and I can easily pick it up on my windows box, but that markably less important.

CranialBlaze wrote:

Is it even possible to mount the drive on linux so that I can write to its folders?

Sure.  But if it’s not letting you use CIFS, you probably don’t have the Cifs / Samba package installed for your distro.

/home/tony> rpm -qa | grep -i cifs
cifs-utils-5.8-1.fc17.i686

/home/tony> rpm -qa | grep -i samba
samba-client-3.6.9-96.fc17.1.i686
samba-common-3.6.9-96.fc17.1.i686

Samba is installed, up-to-date and cifs is how I have all my other network drives mounted, I am trying to move them over to the WDTV

Using Arch on the Pi,

samba v 3.6.9-1

cifs-utils v 5.7-1

Oh, wait a sec.   I think you’re using the wrong volume name.

CranialBlaze wrote:

Tried manual mounts

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.15/Movies_Series /mnt/External -o user=,password=,workgroup=WORKGROUP

My fstab entry is:

//192.168.0.15/WDTVLive /mnt/External cifs username=guest,password=,nounix,uid=root,gid=root,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

… at least for the manual one…

You’ve got “Movies_Series.”  That looks like a folder name, not a volume name, but of course I could be wrong.

Try this on your linux box:

smbtree

and post the output of your WD’s.

It’ll look something like this:

/home/tony> smbtree
Enter tony's password: <---- just hit ENTER here.
WORKGROUP
        \\WDTVLIVEHUBLR WDTV LIVE
                \\WDTVLIVEHUBLR\IPC$ IPC Service (WDTV LIVE)
                \\WDTVLIVEHUBLR\WDTVLiveHub WDTVLiveHub
        \\WDTVLIVEHUB WDTV LIVE
                \\WDTVLIVEHUB\IPC$ IPC Service (WDTV LIVE)
                \\WDTVLIVEHUB\PATRIOT PATRIOT
                \\WDTVLIVEHUB\WDTVLiveHub WDTVLiveHub
 [snip]

That is the volume name, or at least the name WD is outputing to windows network.

\\WDTVLIVE WD TV Live
                \\WDTVLIVE\IPC$ IPC Service (WD TV Live)
                \\WDTVLIVE\Movies_Series Movies_Series

Now that you point it out, the fstab one is way wrong.

Try changing the syntax on your manual one… 

mount -t cifs ‘\192.168.0.15\Movies_Seires’ /mnt/External {etc etc)

With the forward slashes, you may need escapes in some cases.

Nope, thats not helping either, this getting annoying. 

Will try renaming the volume a bit alter and see if that helps.

Maybe B-Rad will decide to install, freaking WDTV doe snot detect updates on a flash drive, even if I use the revert files provided by WD.

Ok that did not work either, even tried installing NFS and mounting that way, not that I expected it to work but anyway, was worth a try.

THis is rediculously complicated considerign how simple it should be.

ran smbclient -L and got this:

Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.6]

Sharename Type Comment
        --------- ---- -------
        Media Disk Media
        IPC$ IPC IPC Service (WD TV Live)

Everything should just work, I should not be gettign any errors

according to smbclient

the name of the samba share is “Media”

remember

smb.conf defines the name samba uses to share out a disk

and it may be different from the drive name

so try

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.15/Media /mnt/External -o user=xxx,password=xxx,workgroup=WORKGROUP

It’s odd that SMBCLIENT returns a different sharename than SMBTREE does…

The two return identical results in my case…

AS I mentioned in post 5, I was going to try renaming it to get rid of the underscore and see if it makes a difference.

However I have more recently discovered that I am int he worng place, turns out I have the new WD TV Live Streaming, you would not expect that to make a difference, but the guys over at wdlxtv pointed it out as my firmware 1.12.14 is not for the live but the live streaming.

As mentioned in Post 5, I was going to rename it, in the unlikely event that its volume name was causign toruble, so I did adjust my string for the new volume name.

Thanks for the help guys, managed to work it out, seems to be a problem in the latest kernel update.

THe timming was just perfect, I ran a system update yesterday got the WDTV today, never had a chance or reason to check if the cifs wa still working with the windows shares.

Fortunely thanks to a past problemw ith upgrading and ntfs I made clone backups of the Pi before each update attempt as for soem reason the ntfs driver cracked and a my 640gb turned into a 14gb, int he mount only, thankfully. Rolled back to yesterdays update and cifs is all good again.