Mount My Cloud Home on Mac during remote access

I plan to buy a My Cloud Home device, but I would like to check beforehand whether it provides all the required features …

I own a MacBook which will be probably running Mac OS High Sierra by the time I would buy the My Cloud Home. As far as I unterstand, it is possible to mount the My Cloud Home device and then access it via the Mac Finder (or even the Terminal etc.) just as if it were an internal HD or an external HD I connect via USB.

However, is this kind of access also possible when I am not at home, but for example in somebody else’s WLAN? Or is it only possible to access files “indirectly” then through some kind of special app or through my web browser (MyCloud.com-Web-App etc.)?

Thank you for your help!

Once you have a My Cloud home install the WD Discovery application on your mac. Once that is installed it will mount the My Cloud Home private user space as a drive in finder and on your desktop. This will also still be mapped when you are outside your network as long as you are signed into the WD Discovery app.

There is also web browser access you can use on a computer where WD Discovery may not be installed.