MKV doesn't play but MP4 with same audio+video streams does, using Network Share

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the community, so, HI everyone! It’s my first post here so if the topic was discussed, please go easy :wink:

I have a WD TV Play and after spending several hours online, I’ve managed to share content from my Windows 7 to my WDTV Play through the local network. If there’s interest, I can share a small guide on what needs to be done (I had permission issues and I managed to get everything fixed with ICACLS :wink:). My setup is: Windows 7 and WDTV Play, both in the same local network and connected to a router. I used Windows Media Player libraries for sharing and the “Sharing Folder” option in Explorer.

Now, once I got everything I wanted shared and visible in WDTV Play, I noticed that most of the file formats play fine but none of the MKV files do. WDTV Play sees them, including thumbnail - but doesn’t play, complains "Unable to play the selected file. Please see the User Manual for a list of supported file formats)

However, when I process a MKV in XVID4PSP, using stream copy for both video and audio and selecting MP4 as container, the resulted MP4 file plays perfectly on my WDTV Play. So basically, the streams (audio+video) are good, but WDTV Play doesn’t like the MKV container. It does like the MP4 one.

[LE] I have also checked and the MKV plays fine in the WD Play external USB. I can’t find any info in the manual saying MKV playback in the network would be a problem?

Can anyone give me some quick tips on how can I quickly fix the MKV files without converting them all to MP4?

Here is MediaInfo (0.7.65) example of a MKV file that doesn’t play but was “converted” to MP4 and plays fine:

General
Unique ID                                : 254310441366771953203828725510025745403 (0xBF5268CFBD6D40B782FD6EC93A4F93FB)
Complete name                            : Angry Birds Toons - Green Pig Soup.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 71.5 MiB
Duration                                 : 2mn 45s
Overall bit rate                         : 3 636 Kbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-09-21 07:35:45
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v6.4.1 (‘Omega Point’) built on Sep 16 2013 22:05:10
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Baseline@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : No
Format settings, ReFrames                : 3 frames
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=30
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Nominal bit rate                         : 3 500 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 30.000 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.127
Writing library                          : x264 core 118 r2085 8a62835
Encoding settings                        : cabac=0 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=5 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=24 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=30 / keyint_min=16 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : A_AAC
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Hi, see if the following link helps.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Play-Discussions/Can-someone-tell-me-what-this-mkv-file-wouldn-t-work-over-DLNA/m-p/614641/highlight/true#M1022

Thank you, Ichigo. Indeed, I’m still not sure if the problem is that I’m using Windows as media server. As I later edited in my first post, WD Play does see and play correctly the files when connected through the USB but not from the network.

To add to this, it seems that the subtitles also don’t show when playing from the network. They show up when playing from USB, which may indicate a media server issue. If this is the case, can someone recommend a free media server that works in my scenario? I don’t have a PS3 and I’d prefer to keep things simple (software).