Micro Judder with MKV playback via HDMI

Hello, I recently bought a WD Elements Play 2 TB mainly for its HDMI and Full HD capabilities to playback my Blu Ray MKV / MP4 rips.

Was very disappointed to see that the playback always has a very minor judder. The picture freezes for a micro second and is very annoying. No problems with the audio, though. I noticed this happens only when the playback is via HDMI. If I connect the EP to the TV using the USB port at its rear, then the playback is very smooth. I use a Samsung LED TV (Full HD) which has no issues with my other players.

I read on this forum that many users have similar issues. Does WD have any plans to resolve this? 

Thanks,

You may try using an additional HDMI cable.  You may also try the component output, resetting the Elements Play by holding the reset button for 4 seconds.  If you have the chance try with another TV, in order to compare results.

1 Like

Many thanks, Vadir. I shall try the options you’ve suggested and revert.

Vadir wrote:

… You may also try the component output, …

HD video via composite video!?

Vadir, the Elements Play doesn’t have component video.

An update:

I tried various options: different TV, different HDMI Cable, output via composite video, etc. but in vain. The picture keeps stopping for a micro-second and there is no continuous motion - which is quite irritating to the eye. Audio output is perfect.

However, the results are fine when I hook the Elements Play to the TV via the rear USB port. The problem seems to be with the HDMI and the A/V outputs. Any advice to resolve this would be appreciated. I have a Gen 1, 2TB device.

Many thanks!

rajeevg wrote:

However, the results are fine when I hook the Elements Play to the TV via the rear USB port. The problem seems to be with the HDMI and the A/V outputs. Any advice to resolve this would be appreciated. I have a Gen 1, 2TB device.

Many thanks!

Most probably here is nothing wrong with the HDMI and/or A/V output, it is the chipset that has problems decoding the video stream. Does WEP judder for all movies or “only” for HD?

(Just for my interest: can you post some core data of the problematic movie: file size, length, codec, resolution?)

BTW: When you connect the WEP via USB to the TV, then the TV does the decoding; WEP only functions as a hard-disk in this case.

Thanks, broeni. I also believe the problem is with the chipset as the WEP has no issues when working only as a “hard disk”.

And yes, the problem is usually with HD movies. Details of one of them are:

FORMAT:…MP4

FILE SIZE:…900MB

RESOLUTION:…1280*528

ASPECT RATIO:… 2.40:1

FRAME RATE:…23.976 fps

RUNTIME:…2h 34mn

SOURCE:…720p

Has anyone else faced this issue? I recall some posts about similar problems, but is there a way to resolve this? Thanks again!

Â