Metadata, XML & Movie Backgrounds

Hello WDTV community,

I have just purchased a WDTV Live (WDBHG70000NBK-HESN) and need information about using movie metadata.
I have my device set up to automatically download movie metadata.
I see that for each movie file on my connected HDD an .xml file, a .metathumb file and a background hidden folder has been created.

By changing the file extension of the .xml to .txt I am able to see the contents of the metadata info.
I see that the .xml file lists a “http://cf2” location for all of the background images.

1. what is “http://cf2” and how does the device know to look in the hidden background folder for the background images?
  2. is it possible to store all metadata and background images in a single folder?
  3. should I create a folder for each movie and keep all metadata in the individual movie folder?
  4. I have .tgmd files generated by Thumbgen for each movie; is it possible to import that metadata and background images?
  5. is there a preferred program for editing the .xml files and changing background images?
  6. are there any good tutorials available that cover this subject?

Thanks a lot

Hello, check if the link below helps. 

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/New-guy-with-metadata-coverart-background-art-etc-questions/m-p/555643/highlight/true#M19716

Thanks for the link Ichigo, it was helpful.

From what I gather, the answers to my questions are below:

1. the media player pulls metadata from online resoureses (scrapes) and then generates the xml files for each movie and creates the background hidden folders which contain the movie backgrounds. Once the backgrounds are downloaded, I do not need to be online to see them, they are saved in the hidden folder. If I want to add, remove or replace an image I can do that in the individual movie hidden folder.

2. xml and metathumb files must be in the same folder as all of the movie files (.iso, .mkv, .mpg etc.).

It is not possible to change the location of the movie sheet images, they must remain in the individual hidden folder.

1. No, creating a folder for each movie will disable the ability to see movie sheet backgrounds in the galler view.

I’m still unclear on these:

1. Is it possible to import the .tgmd file into thumbgen and then export as .xml?

2. WDTVHubGen can edit the .xml files, is there a way to chang the thumb image and sheet background; this is one of the advantages of using Thumbgen?

Yes, you can use thumbgen to create xml from tgmd files

Thumgen is still the preferred software for sheet or thumbnail creation

Xml is easilyeditable with any text editor

I think HubFlow:  http://tobogan.nozonenet.com/HubFlow/Home.html, is a better solution for XML, backgrounds, cover art. I have tried a few but being on a Mac makes my selection limited. However, this app is multiplatform. There are a few others out there that might do the job better but this one is specifically written for WDTV.

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi

Resurecting this thred to clarify a particular comment.  One of the posts above states that XML files can be edited easily with any text editor.  I’m brand new to this, trying to edit the XML files so that I can eliminate the word “The” at the beginning of movies, edit the names of movies in a trilogy so they appear one after the other, etc.  I’ve searched the forums and gather I can do this by editing the XML files.  What exactly is the step by step process to edit the XML file?  I am on a PC with notepad (sounds like I should be able to use this as the text editor?).  The files are stored on an external HD plugged into the WD, which is on my wired network and accessable from the PC.  I can see the XML file and open it, but it seems to open in a non-editable format, and i’m not sure what to do from here. 

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks…

yes notepad can edit xml files

although windows notepad is about the worst text editor there is

I recommend notepadd++ is free

can handle windows and linux line endings

and understands many programing languages,

and does text format highlighting and well as batch replacement and editing of files

Thanks.  This may seem like a silly question, but what is the process to complete the diting – it doesn’t seem to be “editable” when I open it in notepad (and I don’t think this is because of notepad’s limitations that you’ve noted, I think it’s more likely because I’m missing a simple step somewhere that will allow me to actually edit the text using ANY text editor, notepad or otherwise).  Once I open the file using notepad or another text editor, what is the next step to actually be able to edit the text (right now I can see it, but it is not editable)?

Thanks again for your help.

That doesn’t make much sense. I’m no expert in this area but XML files are just text files. Even if the file is set to ready only via permissions in your OS, you should be able to edit it and save it as another name.

I’ll second KAD79’s recomendation for notepadd++. It does a great job, lots of extra options you don’t get in Windows Notepad, and works especialy well for large files

-P

Thanks, got it.