Love My PR4100

This is my first venture into the world of a NAS with processing power. I have had NAS storage before.

First off, the price is awesome. I purchased a PR4100 with 24TB of storage.
Second, the set up was so easy, even with a basic understanding it was easy to get up and running.

I purchased this unit because I wanted to move Plex off an aging Mac Mini to a something able to handle multiple streams of media without melting down. Getting Plex up and running was a piece of cake and I kept my current Plex instance running while I got the new one matched up. I used Chrono Sync to move everything over.

My sole complaint is that having the Plex instance hidden and locked away there was no way I could move information on watched and such. Given this NAS is being heavily recommended by Plex it would be nice to see a partnership with Plex and WD to create a migration toolkit and make everything easier.

My home is wired for gigabit, and I go to the end point thanks to my Ubiquity network equipment. I otherwise an all Apple Home. My apple tv’s stream from Plex. All of my Mac systems back up to the PR4100 using Time Machine. I do however run a back up Time Capsule unit as well.

My reason for moving to PR4100 was accelerated by the failure of 1 of 2 WD 6TB external drive (power I think) and the loss of redundancy. I am now using the legacy WD drive with Chrono sync to back up specific items from the PR4100 giving me a very safe feeling when it comes to my data.

I have other use cases that would be awesome if clients are developed, for instance I use Indigo Domotics home automation server and using this NAS to run that would be awesome too.

Long story short, I am very happy.

There is a possibility of upcoming community applications for Z-Wave, which might work into your scenario, but I’m glad you are happy with the current offerings.

That experience has soured as I am trying to figure out to hook up one the preferred UPS units. No good so far.