Lost access to the guest users' files on My Cloud Home

I am desperate and very disappointed with the product and the My Cloud Home service. :frowning:

My My Cloud Home has 3 users. The user who is the administrator can access their files via WEB, APP, and WINDOWS. The other two users have lost access to their files and cannot enter the screen that allows managing the device when connected to the local network (My Cloud Home Dashboard). When I put the username and password for the Western Digital account, it always shows an error “incorrect username or password”, even though the password is correct and after resetting the password.

I have already requested WD support, and they said that it is an issue with guest users in the database, which they cannot resolve, and only solution is for me to hire a data recovery service to recover the files for these 2 users.

I remind you that the files for these two users is physically on the disk. They have not been deleted! There is no physical failure in the hard disc! Just because a software error, exclusively WD’s responsibility, I lost access to the files on the disk.

I have performed the “clear device settings” multiple times with the administrator user, and it did not resolve the issue. I have the latest firmware version installed (9.6.0-111)!

Unfortunately, I do not have backups of these files and I really need to recover them.

Can someone help me regain access to this information, which is mine and which, due to WD’s sole responsibility, I can no longer access?

Thank you very and very much.

Please spend some time reading this thread below where MCH owners have recovered user data after ‘Clear Device Settings’ that had apparently depopulated user data. Please note that you will do this AT YOUR OWN RISK to data because nowhere is this documented by WD Knowledgebase or support.

As to the responsibility of WD, please be aware that similar to all storage providers, when you signed up or purchased their hardware and/or service, the typical Term of Service that they make you acknowledge is that the owner of the data is the holder of responsibility for the data.

YOU AGREE THAT YOU HAVE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ADEQUATE PROTECTION AND BACKUP OF DATA AND/OR EQUIPMENT USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES AND WILL NOT MAKE A CLAIM OF ANY NATURE AGAINST THE WESTERN DIGITAL PARTIES FOR LOST DATA, INACCURATE OUTPUT, WORK DELAYS, OR LOST PROFITS RESULTING FROM THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICES.

2 Likes

Thank you very @NoPlex!

I’ll try this solution, removing and adding the same username. But I don’t know how I can do the backup before do this operation.

Is there an easy way to make a backup?

I appreciate that English may not be your primary language and that some of the details may not be apparent, but unfortunately in your situation, if the user files are not accessible by ‘local access’ or the browser webapp, then you will not easily be able to do a backup.

It is also unlikely that using the Browser webapp ‘USB backup’ will be able to backup the user files that have been depopulated from the Webapp viewer.

• Backup = something you do while your storage is functioning normally
  • Data recovery = something you do after your storage has malfunctioned