User's data not visible after Clear device settings

Hi All,
I have an 8TB My Cloud Home, and besides the main admin account, I have one additional user. Since I couldn’t enable local access, I performed a Clear device settings. After indexing, all the data appeared on the admin account, but not on the additional user’s account. When I tried to log in locally to the device with additional user’s credentials to enable local access, I received an error message saying that the username or password is incorrect, even though I was able to log in to the web app with the same username/password.

Please help, I was stupid and didn’t make a backup before Clear device settings. :confused:

Data could still be downloaded from each user’s webapp (browser), there should be no loss of data.

If you read the instructions, there are several limitations that must be observed:

• The Device Owner CANNOT enable local network access for guest users.
  • Local network access must be enabled by each guest user.
  • Local network access using Samba (SMB) does not include access using the Mobile, or Web.
  • A maximum limit of 10 users can enable local access per device.

First of all, once ‘Clear Device settings’ is performed, the local access is reset for the owner and guest(s) and must be recreated if local access is needed.

Even though you think you have entered additional user’s credentials, the browser app authentication may still think you are the device owner, and not any of the additional guest user. This is an authentication problem. Try a different browser, try a different desktop/laptop where the actual additional guest user has had his credentials authenticated by Google or Microsoft since Western Digital authentication is based on tracking by those two companies.

The second user’s webapp was completely empty after I performed the Clear device settings, there wasn’t a single file. Additionally, on the list of all users in My Cloud Home settings tab, it states that the additional user has not used any storage space (0% of 8TB used), even though there was almost 100GB of data stored. Customer support advised me to enable local access for the additional user and try to access the data that way, but I can’t access the Dashboard to enable local access. I’ve tried changing the password and logging in through various browsers and devices (MacOS - Chrome, Safari, Win - Bing, Chrome, iOS - Safari), but I always receive the same error message:

It appeared that you performed a Clear Device Settings (CDS) without ever enabled local access for either the owner or the guest user. Generally owners only do clear settings after they have enabled local access and run into subsequent problems. It is an unknown as far as I know how doing CDS initially could affect data on the My Cloud Home. According to the Knowledge Base article:

Clearing device settings does not remove network shares, guest users or data.

it states that there should be no effect and you would like to take their word on that. There is always the possibility that there are bugs in the firmware on deleting credentials and resetting file permission which is what CDS does, and that some user data may no longer be associated with their credentials.

You may require a professional recovery service if you would like to recover that data. It is likely that the files are still there, it is just not seen by the owner or the guest user.

Hello NoPlex,

I am facing the same issue, and dr.koh is right about what he said. I performed CDS because I couldn’t enable again the local Access to my account (admin), and when it was performed and fixed the local access issue, 2 other users lost their data, and I’m not able to enable local access for them. I receive the same error that says “Whoops!”

My wife happens to be the user that lost her data :frowning_face: . She’s gonna kill me if I didn’t get it back :sweat_smile: . HELP !!!

Hello dr.koh,

I have found the solution for your issue, it’s easy. Just delete the user that lost his data, and give him back the access and the data will start appearing after the indexation is completed.
Good Luck.

Hello HamAtt,

What made you try deleting the user and re-adding them? Was it a suggestion you received somewhere or you got desperate and were willing to try anything? I am having the same issue and fearful of taking the plunge and deleting the user.

Hi IS-WD,

I didn’t just delete the user like that. But I had to tear down my unit and access the Hard disk via Linux. When I retrieved my data, I said now I can just delete the user to bring him back, and I thought why not leave its data and see what will happen. But of course I have already back-up the data on another disk.

You can try it, without tearing down the unit and hopefully it will be back.

None of this is documented by WD, in fact WD documentation says the exact opposite because it stated that

Re-adding the same user to My Cloud Home or ibi will create a new empty user space instead of assigning the previous user space to the same My Cloud Home or ibi user.

I doubt there would be too many owners who can reproduce your finding, but thanks for reporting this.

Web App User Removal

IMPORTANT:

• Removing a user from My Cloud Home or ibi will remove all access to the data contained in the user space.
  • Re-adding the same user to My Cloud Home or ibi will create a new empty user space instead of assigning the previous user space to the same My Cloud Home or ibi user.
  • Access to the data CANNOT be accomplished using SSH or by the Device Owner.
  • Ensure all data contained in the user space is copied to another location before removing the user from My Cloud Home or ibi.
  • Content added or uploaded to a shared folder by the removed user is not deleted or removed from My Cloud Home or ibi.
    Existing users on My Cloud Home or ibi will still have access to content in the shared folder.

Thank you HamAtt

I can confirm that in our case removing the impacted user and re-adding them allowed the content to re-appear. As a precaution we removed the drives and mounted them on Linux and backed up the content. Close inspection of the content of the RAID array revealed the user space directory was still present and populated but the user info database had no mention of the secondary user, just the primary and third user were present. It seems fair that if the device is not fully aware of the user, why would their content be deleted.

For anybody else in the same boat, if you do venture down this route, your mileage may vary, so always take a backup.