Linux - MY CLOUD PRO SERIES PR4100

Hi All,

I am based in a hospital looking to set up whole genome sequencing. We use a Windows laptop to run the sequencing but then the analysis is carried out on a linux and macOS machine. The data generated is huge and it wouldn’t be efficient to use external hard drives to transfer cause it is time consuming. We where hoping to invest in a 40GB PR4100 for our needs, having the data accessed by all 3 machines. Can these devices be networked to a linux machine? Under the tech specs they say Mac/Windows. But can the drives be formatted to an NTFS formate so all OS’s will recognise?

Cheers,

Peter

You can’t actually change the file system at all, nor do you need to. It’s mounted using various file server protocols such as NFS, CIFS, AFP, etc.

Works just fine with every flavor of Linux as long as the cifs packages are installed (cifs is more secure than NFS so that’s what I recommend).

For example, here’s a portion of my Ubuntu client’s /etc/fstab file:

//10.0.0.10/m1 /mounts/m1              cifs    rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,credentials=/etc/samba/remotecreds 0  0
//10.0.0.10/m2 /mounts/m2              cifs    rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,credentials=/etc/samba/remotecreds 0  0
//10.0.0.10/m3 /mounts/m3              cifs    rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,credentials=/etc/samba/remotecreds 0  0

/etc/samba/remotecreds is a file that contains the credentials for those shares, and that file is readable only by root.

An interesting article for in case you’re interested to scale up.

Cheers Tony. Im not sure what CIFS are but as long as I know it works its something I can google and check anyway!