Bought a 2TB Passport February 2016. Last week it stopped being detected where it normally is.
External HDD shows up in Device Manager and Devices & Printers as an external HDD, but not under My Computer/Devices with removable storage.
Hard drive is normal sounding. No errors or warnings anywhere.
- Uninstalled drivers and reinstalled them.
- Tried multiple USB 3.0 and microUSB cables on multiple USB ports.
- Tried multiple computers (2 Windows 7 laptops, 2 Windows 10 laptops, 1 Macbook)
- Checked disk management. It says that ‘Disk 1’ isn’t initialized and asks me if I want to initialize via MBR or GPT. However I do not want to lose my data, so I can’t initialize it and assign a drive letter.
- Removed the hard drive out of its enclosure to use its SATA port. Unfortunately there is no SATA port, just a USB port.
There were no changes made between the day that it was working and the day it stopped working.