Disk not getting detected

Hello, I have a 2TB MyPassport HDD. All of as sudden it was not getting detected by the file manager, and when I looked in the disk management it was showing the disk is not initialized and it prompts me to initialize it, but I’m afraid that by doing so I will lose important data in the drive. I will attach the screenshot. Can anybody please help me. I have already tried with other pc, and by using another usb cable , it still won’t work.

Hi @amaleshcv,

Please refer to the article: How To Initialize a Secondary Drive on Windows:How To Initialize a Secondary Drive on Windows

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I totally understand your concern and frustration with your MyPassport HDD not being detected. Don’t worry, I’ll try to help you out. Losing important data is definitely a big worry, so let’s proceed with caution.

First of all, it’s great that you’ve already tried using another PC and a different USB cable to rule out any connection issues. That narrows down the problem a bit. The fact that it’s prompting you to initialize the disk means that it might have some partition or file system issues.

Before we proceed, I want to emphasize the importance of not initializing the disk just yet. Initializing the disk will indeed erase the partition table, and any data stored on it may become inaccessible.

One thing you can try is using data recovery software to see if it can access and recover your files before attempting any repairs. There are some reliable data recovery tools available online, and some even offer a free trial version. You can give them a shot to see if they can detect your files and allow you to recover them.

If the data recovery software doesn’t work, or you’d rather get professional help, consider reaching out to a data recovery service. They have specialized tools and expertise to recover data from damaged or inaccessible drives.

Keep in mind that data recovery can be a complex process, and there are no guarantees. So, it’s essential to weigh the importance of your data against the potential cost of recovery.

If, however, you decide to initialize the disk, make sure to create a backup of your drive first. If you have important files on the drive, it’s always good practice to have a backup copy in case of unexpected issues.

Again, I want to emphasize that data recovery should be your priority right now. Take your time and don’t rush into any decisions that may lead to data loss. Hopefully, you’ll be able to retrieve your valuable files. If you need any further assistance or have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

2 Likes

If I initialize the disk I might lose my data.

First of all thanks a lot for the response. Could you please suggest me any safe and reliable data recovery software if you happen to know some. Also you mentioned to create a backup right, but I don’t know how to do that since I am unable to access the data in it.

Hello are you there, could you please provide a response to my last comment

Certainly! I can suggest a couple of safe and reliable data recovery software options that you can use:

1. Recuva: Recuva is a popular and user-friendly data recovery tool developed by Piriform. It’s known for its ease of use and effectiveness in recovering deleted files from various storage devices, including hard drives, memory cards, and USB drives.

2. Stellar Data Recovery: * Recovers deleted files, photos, critical documents, etc.

• Restores data from formatted, encrypted, or corrupted drives
  • Recovers data from completely crashed & unbootable systems
    The free version helps one to recover 1 GB of data for free.

As for creating a backup, I understand that you may not be able to access the data on your PC right now. However, in the future, it’s a good practice to regularly back up your important files to prevent data loss. There are a few ways you can create backups:

1. External Hard Drive or USB Drive: Connect an external hard drive or USB drive to your PC and manually copy important files to it regularly.

2. Cloud Storage Services: Use cloud storage services like Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive to store your files online. These services offer automatic synchronization, which means your files are backed up automatically once you save them in the designated folder.

3. Backup Software: Consider using backup software that can schedule regular backups of your data to an external drive or cloud storage. Some backup software options include Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, and Windows Backup (built-in to Windows).

Remember, having multiple backups in different locations (external drive and cloud storage) adds an extra layer of protection to your data.

Before using any data recovery software, ensure you read the instructions and use it carefully to avoid any accidental data overwriting. It’s best to perform data recovery as soon as possible to increase the chances of successful recovery.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Good luck with your data recovery efforts! :blush::+1:

If the disk management utility is asking you to initialize the disk, it usually means that it doesn’t recognize the current partition structure or file system on the drive. Before you proceed with any action that might potentially cause data loss, I would recommend trying some data recovery software to see if you can retrieve your important files from the drive. There are several reliable data recovery tools available online, some of which offer free trials or versions for you to test.

Here are the general steps you can take:

1. Download and install data recovery software : Choose a reputable data recovery tool and install it on your computer. Some popular options include Stellar Data Reocvery, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, Recuva, or TestDisk. Make sure to download the software from trusted sources to avoid malware.
  2. Connect your HDD to your computer : Ensure that your MyPassport HDD is connected to your computer via USB.
  3. Run the data recovery software: Open the data recovery software and select the option to scan for lost files or recover data from a specific drive. Choose your MyPassport HDD as the target drive for scanning.
  4. Scan for lost files : Start the scanning process. This may take some time depending on the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it.
  5. Recover your files : Once the scan is complete, the software will display a list of recoverable files. Browse through the list and select the files you want to recover. Choose a safe location on your computer to save the recovered files, preferably on a different drive to avoid overwriting any data.
  6. Backup your recovered files : After successfully recovering your important files, make sure to back them up to another storage device or cloud storage to prevent data loss in the future.

If the data recovery software is unable to retrieve your files or if you prefer not to use it, you may need to consider initializing the disk. However, keep in mind that initializing the disk will erase all existing data on it, so it should be considered as a last resort if you’ve exhausted all other options for data recovery.

If you decide to initialize the disk, follow these steps:

1. Open Disk Management : Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.
  2. Initialize the disk : Right-click on the uninitialized disk and select the option to initialize it. Choose the appropriate partition style (MBR or GPT) based on your system requirements.
  3. Create new partitions : After initializing the disk, you can create new partitions and format them with the desired file system (NTFS, exFAT, etc.).

Remember to proceed with caution and always prioritize data recovery before taking any action that may result in data loss. If you’re unsure about any step or need further assistance, feel free to ask for help.

Before proceeding with the initialization of your 2TB My Passport HDD, actively explore data recovery options using software like Stellar Data Recovery. Install the software on a separate drive, initiate the scanning process, and actively attempt data retrieval. Back up any successfully recovered data to another drive. In case recovery software does not provide the desired results, actively consider professional data recovery services or actively reach out to Western Digital Support for guidance. Actively exercise caution to minimize potential data loss during the recovery process.