Just got my book live and i have a mac

I have set it to use time machine. But can it use carbon copy cloner as well

I have so much space on it I want to be able to use it for a few different things. 

Basically what i want to do is to use some of the drive for cc backups. some to store files that won’t fit on my mbp - which i would like to be able to access via pc or mac and all allow some of the space on the drive for my girlfriend to use to back up her pc.

Is this all possible using one drive what with there being different formats? 

It is such a large drive that it would be a pity not to be able to use it for different things

any suggestions are very much appreciated as i am a bit confused

This is a network drive, not a USB drive, as such you really can’t format it. It has it’s own operating system and file format that is handled internally on the drive. You will connect to it via your network (either wirelessly or wired through a router). You can access the shares using finder - or go into the dashboard and create your own shares that you can password protect.

It is a different way of thinking about a hard drive, but once you get used to it, it will be second nature. let me know if that helps.

Tony

Thank you very much. With it having its own file format what file formats are compatible with it?

Sorry I am new to this and have heard people talk about certain files like mac files not being compatible on certain drives and having to change the format of the drive to work with these files.

The Mac will talk to it using a networking protocol. You really don’t have to worry about that. Using Finder you can navigate the My Book Live as if it was a drive connected to your Mac.

excellent thank you - and there won’t be any file format problems?

Do you know anything about using carbon copy cloner and the my book live?