iTunes-server HOWTO needed!

Hi y’all,

I’m running a home-LAN w/ the following:

1. PC WIN8.1

2. MAC OSX (current version)

3. wdmycloud 2tb

Problems:

1. I’d like to set up an itunes library to acces from PC & MAC.

As I use timemachine for MAC & this wd-backup (as offered by smartware) for PC,

how can I set up an iTunes-library to access from both computers?

For now, the itunes-files are on my PC, and I cannot upload to a separate folder on mycloud:

Smartware tells me I can only either backup my PC, or the itunes-files!

HOW CAN I UPLOAD MY ITUNES-FILES TO A FOLDER ON MYCLOUD; WHILE KEEPING UP MY PC-BACKUP?

WD-support is not working (or they don’t care to reply?), and there are no support-articles for this.

I feel sad, disappointed, and tricked - by now I’m desperate.

Therefore, any help will be verymuch appreciated!

A thousand thanks in advance for your help!!!

BTW: Mycloud is set up correctly (incl. port-forwarding).

I do have the software on PC & mac (all support-requests lead to a prompt “d/l software” - I just updated an hour ago, so I don’t know which software they want me to d/L…)

Sorry for the tone of my request. I did set up several NAS-systems in the past, but mycloud just doesn’t seem to work properly, and this “d/l software”-thing is getting to me.

I apologise.

My reply in red

For now, the itunes-files are on my PC, and I cannot upload to a separate folder on mycloud:

Smartware tells me I can only either backup my PC, or the itunes-files!

HOW CAN I UPLOAD MY ITUNES-FILES TO A FOLDER ON MYCLOUD; WHILE KEEPING UP MY PC-BACKUP?

Possibly think outside (or as I like to say in a different box) I’m not too familar with iTunes but I would deploy a different method for file transfer. Continue using smartware for your backup. Create another share on MC and manually copy the iTunes library to that share. I’m not certain how to make that work with iTunes however

1 Like

Hi Pete,

1st off, thank you so much for your quick reply, wholeheartedly appreciated!! ;o)

As it is, meanwhile I came to the same conclusion & tried w/ a few files.

Upload works well, and the files do show up in iTunes MC-library - yay!

HOWEVER:

I tested & erased those files from MC again, and they STILL SHOW UP n itunes MC-lib…

NEXT,

I went the (very much hidden in the support-articles) way of copying to the public/shared music-folder (no like to have my music public, but oh well…) - same thing: files erased from aforementioned folder, and still they show up in itunes’ MC-lib…

So, again big thanks & kudos to you, my friend!

But something still doesn’t quite work the way it should (or, at least the way I imagine it should… :o(

Grateful for any method (or thoughts on what might work way proper)!

I primarily use Ubuntu Linux so … Hopefully some other learned member will have some positive ideas on the subject. I will test it out from my seldom used Win 7 to see if I can uncover anything usefull, and I’ll try out iTunes as well.

I went the (very much hidden in the support-articles) way of copying to the public/shared music-folder

You have read the user manual, I take it?  Chapter 12 covers media streaming, and p105 ‘Accessing Your Personal Cloud Using iTunes’.

You might find some helpful suggestions on this thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/How-to-copy-not-move-iTunes-music-and-playlists-to-drive/m-p/850339