Is Time Machine supported on WD MyCloud Gen1 on Mac OS Catalina

This is with reference to Answer ID: 21360 which states specifically that TM needs to use SMB protocol in Catalina and above and that TM over SMB is supported in Firmware Versions 2.30.165 and higher. It doesn’t mention any series 4 Firmware. This may help to answer questions in my other post Firmware Update Problems - #2 by paulrste

Have you looked in the User Manual and checked the Knowledge Base? You may want to check this and see if anything helps.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23412/kw/Time%20Machine%20and%20My%20Cloud

Yes the first gen 4.x firmware single bay My Cloud supports Time Machine. See the My Cloud User Manual for more information:

http://products.wdc.com/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf#page=30

Make sure to enable, set to ON, the Time Machine option in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > General > Mac Backups section. And make any changes needed by clicking the Configure link. Examples from a first gen v4.x firmware My Cloud :

Thanks for your reply. Bennor also replied to this with similar information. My full reply below applies to both of you.

Thanks for your reply. cat0w also replied with similar information.

I have checked the user manual as you both suggested and whilst it does say that Time Machine is supported, the manual is dated 2015. There are a lot of discussions on here and on the internet generally about the two protocols that have been used over the last few years, both AFP and SMB. From what I can tell, AFP was recommended initially, but a few years back this was changed to SMB through the SAMBA app in Linux.

The advice being offered is very variable and the one that I quoted in my post is the most definitive that I have been able to find. Unfortunately whilst it states quite categorically that 2.30.165 or later is required, which is for a gen 2 product, not the gen 1 that I have. The item does include the gen 1 part numbers in the applicability section though, but does not mention a suitable version of the appropriate Firmware.

By a happy accident though, I clicked on the wrong window and closed the web browser down. On searching for some of the relevant (to this) pages I came across a link for the latest firmware release notes which included everything back to version 3. There’s everything in there about the release for SMB-3 (release 04.05.00-320 dated 04-12-2017) and to use this protocol by default.

It does not state however if existing connections are modified to use this protocol, which is a different question presumably, is will set this as resolved.

Thanks again guys.