Is there a know issue : WD Live powers on automatically

Wondering if this is by design

Powers on automatically… how?  You mean in the middle of the night, as if gremlins are pressing the “on” button?

If you mean when first connected to power then, yes, that is by design (and not an issue).  But otherwise it shouldn’t just come on by itself.

Gremilins indeed! :slight_smile: I haven’t had this happen yet.

Yeah even I thought if its a ghost :slight_smile:

Every night i switch it off and I see that in morning its ON.  Previously I was doubting that I made a mistake in turning it off but now I am sure. 

I thought that this might be known issue.  BTW I am using this player in India which i bought from US.

If you have power cuts / temporary dropouts during the night, that may cause the Live to power up (just as plugging it into the power supply for the first time causes it to power on).

PixelPower wrote:

If you have power cuts / temporary dropouts during the night, that may cause the Live to power up (just as plugging it into the power supply for the first time causes it to power on).

I was thinking that too.

One of my Lives is on a UPS.   When I got home from work, the one on the UPS was ON, the one on normal power was NOT on.  Something odd is going on.

Well, not one of my three has ever turned on by itself (in over six months).  Now, I don’t have the beta firmware on the two Live machines.

Yes it does turn ON whenever there is a power surge or when power goes in the night for some time. (Using in a country where there is a lot of power cuts/loadshedding during 24 hrs).

PixelPower you are correct,  power cuts is causing this.  I veriified it.  Dont know why they design it this way.

Mike if he has a power outage (blink) then yes the device will restart on its own.

It’s not Gremlins! I have noticed it happens when the general power(220v city

Electricity,I mean) fails.If you remove the plug from the wall socket and re-connect

it,you’ll see it will turn on.Play a gremlin is so simple!

Surena wrote:

It’s not Gremlins! I have noticed it happens when the general power(220v city

Electricity,I mean) fails.If you remove the plug from the wall socket and re-connect

it,you’ll see it will turn on.Play a gremlin is so simple!

Yes thats what the solved post says.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Is-there-a-know-issue-WD-Live-powers-on-automatically/m-p/28957#M2847