Intention to finalize a rear USB port issue (drives USB 3.0)

I have also had this problem… I just bought my SMP three months ago (i’m in Canada) i have a 2TB WD and a 3TB WD Essential HD and tried resetting to factory default. I will try the front port tonight and see how that goes. I hope that there will be a solution to this.

does anyone know if the same thing happens on the player with the built in hard drive?

can I use my externals on that player? maybe just have to upgrade

hooked up to front port last night and worked flawless!

Again, i’m in Canada, so the problem is obviously world wide!

Updated my SMP to 1.11.14. The issue with rear USB port still remains.

1 Like

Last Saturday (15-Sept-2012), I purchased a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player along with a WD My Passport 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (WDBBEP0010BBK-NESN). Upon first use, the device prompted me to update the firmware. This I did.

You’ve guessed it, I’m experiencing the exact same problems with the rear USB port. Films will randomly freeze with a message stating the the locally attached device has been removed.

I wish I’d have known about this problem BEFORE I purchased them.

WD’s reluctance to even admit that there’s a genuine problem will certainly mean that I won’t be purchasing any more of their products. It’s a shame really as I have several WD HDD and up until now have always been happy with their products.

Updated to the new firmware, nothing has changed. WD is very unprofessional not responding to this topic.

1.12.14 issue still exists.

Not surprisingly, I too have this issue, among a few other issues.

Hey guys…

new to the forum, but I have noticed I have this problem as well and I am in the USA.  I do have multiple films at 720p that seem to work while others don’t.  1080p I always had this problem with.  Anyway, I was going crazy thinking that either my 2tb wd hard drive was failing, or my wdtv live was sending a signal to kill the drive somehow, as I would always be stopped in the middle of the movie with the (source is no longer connected) message, or something like it.  After looking under the wdtv, I saw the pn 01, thanks to you guys I switched it to the front usb port and it now works.  Though with the amount of media and drives I have, I would lik having two usb ports that work flawlessly.  Please fix this WD.  Anyway I am lucky enough to have two, and the one in my bedroom is pn -00  so I may just swap them and give it a try tomorrow.  Are all the ones out on retail shelves now 01’s?  I dont know if I missed it in the last 7 pages but has anyone confirmed for sure  00’s are fine and 01’s are the only ones with this problem based on using the same media?  I will hopefull have an answer otherwise tomorrow. 

i benn using a hub to connect my drives. i have had no problems with my usb3 drives at all! so i would suggest using a hub to connect to  the back port. and see if that helps you out.

Well I gave it a try today, and it turns out that I get the same problem on the 00 as I did on the 01 when played through the back usb port.  It eventually stops the movie and says no media found and then it requires a reset of the hard drive etc.  If I play it in the front port no problems.  hmm ??  Those using hubs, what hubs are using?  Dont want to take any chances. :wink:

well for no reason at all today my wdtv live seems to be having a similar problem.

It has worked without issue for the last 7 months and it gets used a lot.

Today once I unplugged my lacie hdd usb 2.0 and replugged once I added some new movied from the pc.

I get a message no drive connected. Restarting unplugging the hdd made it show up and began watching a movie. But 20mins later a message came up that it can’t write to the hdd and sort functions will be disabled. Then the drive did not show up anymore.

Works from the front, memory sticks work in the back or so it seems at the moment.

It is strange that this just happened now since the same hdd has been used all the time.

Bought this in Australia part number ends in 01.

Has there been a resolution or a return is necessary?

So this is not just an issue with usb 3.0 The hard drive in the lacie is a seagate and as said has worked for 7 months straight with no issue.

Hi guys!

I`m coming from Austria, Europe and i have an WDTVLive wie 01 at the end :slight_smile: so I have a problem…I checked the thing with the front and back usb and yes the front usb is better. My problem is that not always but sometimes the film (only 1080p…i never tryed 720p) stopps in the middle of the film…no message from the WD…nothing…i just can reboot the WD…take it away from the power …

I have a medion 2TB HDD with USB 3.0 but i i use a usb 2.0 cabel to connect the HDD with the WD. Could it be because it is no WD HDD? I don`t know …the problem is i need a new HDD because the Medion is full. I want to buy a WD 2tb HDD…could the problem be solved with try?

greetz from austria and sorry for my english :slight_smile:

This issue for almost a year.
A fault occurs with any drives, have controller USB 3.0.
I have a WD drive. with rear port is not working properly.
Attempting to play back the HD files 720p and 1080p from the external HDD USB3.0,
connected to the rear port, results in  video freezing  and after 20-30 seconds
a message appears on the display.

I am having this issue with the rear port as well. Serial nr. ends on -01. I am using a 2TB USB3.0 external hdd. 1080p content tend to freeze after 3-5 minutes of play and locks up the player. 

Looking at the size and timespan of this thread, i doubt this issue will ever get fixed…

About a month ago, I wrote to the italian support center about this issue for the tenth time. The guy wrote me that he got told that the problem is considered “random” and that they have more important issues to solve. I think we will never get a fix. 

How can we get a real and official response from WD?

Maybe we should write a letter to [edited]

Just remember this the next time you’re tempted to buy a product from WD. That’s the only language those guys will understand.

Congratulations WD. This issue is over a year old now.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/are-the-usb-ports-different/td-p/319299

Firmware 1.13.18, and this issue still exists.

I sent back my old box and a new one arrived yesterday and I get the same problems with movies freezing in the middle of the film. I also get the problem plugged into the front USB, but not so bad. This is deffo a firmware issue because if I update the player then I get bad freezing issues but if I factory restore then freezing is not half as often.

WD are completely 100 percent useless.

I’ve recently switched to the US model of the SMP (updated to 1.13.18) and so I thought I’d test the rear port with USB3 drives again. I borrowed the one that worked fine last time on my EU SMP, a

airy by CNmemory 2.5" enclosing a 1 TB Seagate drive ST1000LM 024 HN-M101MBB

and additionally a

Verbatim 2.5" 53018 enclosing a 1 TB Toshiba MK1059GSM.

Attached to the back port by a thick 20 cm cable, playing the CNMemory drive worked flawlessly over the course of a movie night. However, the Verbatim drive suddenly disconnected at ~2 hours into the movie night. Gonna try the Verbatim on the front port tonight to see if it makes a difference.