Intention to finalize a rear USB port issue (drives USB 3.0)

What don’t you understand?

Elements IS A USB 2.0 DRIVE that has a capacity of 3TB

Seagate CAN USE A USB 2.0 ADAPTER BASE rather than a USB 3.0 one

It is a generic Drive unit with interchangable connection base plates including NAS, Firewire. I assume the controller is therefore possibly in the Base unit ?..I don’t know, I am asking on the off chance someone out here has used one.

I am NOT talking about taking a USB 3.0 External Drive and using a normal USB 2.0 cable in some futile attempt to trick the WD TV.

I am asking if anyone tried either of these to see if they work as they offer the 3TB size whilst POSSIBLY bypassing the USB 3.0 issue.

I would like to know before I make a blind decision to dump £150 notes on a 3TB Drive that may not work.

I do not understand. Why are you so nervous? I’m not WD support. I was just trying to help you.
Due to the fact that WD is trying to ignore this problem for six months.
I think that very few people left who want to experiment with the rear port.

oldman777 wrote:

“Why are you so nervous”

I don’t even get the meaning of that comment…

As for experimenting, I’ll stuff a 3tb Elements in it if any ever become available, d a m n those floods last year!

By the way, flood helped WD so long ignore this issue.

I have the same problem, a while ago I opened an issue report. I’m still waiting for an answer. My serial ends with -01, I bought it in Italy in november-december.

I really hope that someone is working on it.

Changed the status of the subject discussion.

Status changed to: Investigating

New development today.

I recently checked the P/N of a family members SMP. it ends in -01 and plays everything perfectly using a passport USB 3.0 drive.

so now to me it looks like the -00 or -01 has nothing to do with this problem but the S/N does.
[Edited for compliance]

so can anyone who has this issue post their S/N so we can compare the model of their SMP’s?

this may help WD fix it easier.

Thanks.

I think there is no need to show the SN: (serial number). All can specify ending PN: 01 or 00 and the date of purchase.
If it is necessary, WD Staff will be asked to report the serial numbers in a personal message.

you may be right.

if it helps out the unit I tried that works was purchased Dec 2011 in California USA. P/N: WDBHG70000NBK-01

I have the same rear port issue (freeze and restart) with the WD 2TB My Book Essential USB 3 drive and my WD TV Live Streaming unit - ending in 01.  I previously had a WD 1 TB USB 2 drive plugged into the WD TV rear port and everything played, no dramas, but since switching to the USB 3 drive I’ve been unable to play any full 1080p, particularly 3D MKV’s - these will however play fine from a jump drive plugged into the front USB port of the WD TV.   I’m in Australia.

I’ve updated to the latest firmware 1.09.10, and this problem still exists.

1 Like

I’m getting the feeling WD is looking to sweep this problem under the rug. 

The rear port does not necessarily work fine when using USB 2.0 equipment.

I have a LaCie 2TB USB 2.0 drive plugged into the rear port of my two week old WD TV Live, which updated its firmware when I first fired it up. 

I transfer content to it from my Windows 7 PC via WiFi (Cisco E4200), and quite regularly the USB drive disconnects in the middle of a transfer.  I don’t think it’s a WiFi issue, since WD Link can still see the WD TV Live unit, although it then appears to have no drive attached.

Powering down the WD TV Live and the attached hard drive, and then restarting everything brings things back to normal, although it seems to take quite a while to rebuild the library.

I realize all bets are off with non-WD drives, but I just thought I’d point this out in case anyone is thinking it’s a problem specific to WD-branded hard drives.

On a positive note, the unit plays everything I throw at it brilliantly, and never freezes or even stutters during playback.

QMuzikDirektor wrote:

The rear port does not necessarily work fine when using USB 2.0 equipment.

I have a LaCie 2TB USB 2.0 drive plugged into the rear port of my two week old WD TV Live, which updated its firmware when I first fired it up. 

I transfer content to it from my Windows 7 PC via WiFi (Cisco E4200), and quite regularly the USB drive disconnects in the middle of a transfer.  I don’t think it’s a WiFi issue, since WD Link can still see the WD TV Live unit, although it then appears to have no drive attached.

Powering down the WD TV Live and the attached hard drive, and then restarting everything brings things back to normal, although it seems to take quite a while to rebuild the library.

I realize all bets are off with non-WD drives, but I just thought I’d point this out in case anyone is thinking it’s a problem specific to WD-branded hard drives.

can you try again with an older FW? I believe this to be related to 1.09.10

Ripcord83 wrote:

Sure, I can try that.  What release would you recommend, and where can I find older versions (sorry if that’s a bonehead question – I’m new here and haven’t had a lot of time to snoop around).

QMuzikDirektor wrote:

Ripcord83 wrote:

Sure, I can try that.  What release would you recommend, and where can I find older versions (sorry if that’s a bonehead question – I’m new here and haven’t had a lot of time to snoop around).

here you go

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/p/208,393/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzNjU0OTQ1MS9zaWQvcTJVanhGWGs%3D

not sure, but you could try 1.08.17

I’ll check it out.  Thanks.

I have been dealing with this problem since 1.06.04 and every version after.  I haven’t tried any of the older versions, so I don’t know if the problem exists with those.

Initially, I discovered the problem when using old USB 2.0 drives in the rear port while playing non-HD content (I didn’t rip any HD stuff at that time nor did I intend to dedicated these drives to the SMP).  I  did find that the problem went away with the USB 2.0 drives if I passed them through a powered USB hub.  Everything worked fine through the front port without a hub.

So I picked up a couple 1TB WD Portable Elements SE USB 3.0 drives to dedicate to the SMP, and found the SMP will play non-HD content from these through the rear port (no hub being used), but the problem reappeared when I moved to HD content.  Trying a powered hub did not appear to fix the issue in this case, so now I’m not very happy.  Again, everything plays fine through the front port (no hub).  This is my the only major issue with the device that I currently have.

Please leave feedback on oldman777’s issue thread here if you’re having this problem:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/v1/ideapage/blog-id/streaming_issues/article-id/1751/page/1#comments

WD was recently looking to close this reported issue (which obviously ticked me off a bit), so please vote and let them know if you’re also affected.

Thanks

Firmware 1.10.13. The issue with the rear port has not been resolved.

Same here.  Problem still exists with Firmware 1.10.13.