Intention to finalize a rear USB port issue (drives USB 3.0)

impdust wrote:

Edited to add:  When I reported this as an Issue, WD moved it out of the Issue thread.  They said the issue thread was only for software issues, not hardware ones.

How did you let them informed?
And what precisely did they answer: was it to return the unit to the Seller and stay awaiting for the release of a new revision…?

Did they officially acknowledge, that the problem rests in the hardware…?

oldman777 wrote:

impdust wrote:

Edited to add:  When I reported this as an Issue, WD moved it out of the Issue thread.  They said the issue thread was only for software issues, not hardware ones.

And what precisely did they answer: was it to return the unit to the Seller and stay awaiting for the release of a new revision…?

If they said it’s a hardware problem and therefore not a software issue, wouldn’t that mean it’s unfixable with a software update?  Otherwise it would be a software issue.  Sounds like they know what the problem is and have no intention of replacing hardware, and therefore no intention of fixing it.

Toddler wrote:

oldman777 wrote:

impdust wrote:

If they said it’s a hardware problem and therefore not a software issue, wouldn’t that mean it’s unfixable with a software update?  Otherwise it would be a software issue.  Sounds like they know what the problem is and have no intention of replacing hardware, and therefore no intention of fixing it.

Exactly what is the origin of this information: “it’s unfixable with a software update”. Was It derived from the official WD statement ? Or from the personal messages? Or maybe it is your personal suggestion? Where is it from?

Edited to add: I was told -
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Firmware/I-m-Returning-my-WD-TV-Live-Thanks-To-All-The-Bugs-in-Recent/m-p/388357#M1245

I suppose in the end of 2011 was sold to a very small amount of SMP revision -01.
And that’s why WD declined to initiate an investigation that issue.

1 Like

I have the same problem.

1080p & 720p files picture freezes on disc with USB 3.0  connected to the rear USB port.

The same files are played without any problems from the front USB port.

WD Elements USB 3.0 - 1 TB

I bought my SMP in EU and my PN WDBGXT0000NBK-01

I had called tech support and reported the issue.  They just said they weren’t aware of any issue with the rear USB port.  Later I reported it on here and after awhile it was moved out of the issue thread.  When I asked the moderator who moved it why they said it was a hardware issue and not a software issue.

I wouldn’t take that as any official statement by WD.  Just a moderator who didn’t think it belonged in the Issue thread.

I have the same problem. It is impossible to watch movies from disk connected to the rear USB port and I need a full reboot to make it working again. SMP Model P/N: WDBGXT0000NBK-01. Hard disk 2,5" WD Elements 1TB USB 3.0

Mine is a WDBHG70000NBK-00 and I’m having the same issue.  Running the latest firmware, have a WD My Passport Essentials SE 1TB drive connected to the rear USB port (it is a USB 3.0 drive).  I play one MP4 file, it works fine. Then try to play another but the video immediately freezes but the audio will continue. I press stop, then play again, it asks if I want to resume or restart.  I choose either, it doesn’t matter, and instantly I get the “fatal system error” which requires a restart and subsequent rebuild of the media library.

Mine is a WDBHG70000NBK-00 and I’m having no issues. Since so far only people with 01 reported these issues I’d rather say your MP4 problem is not releated to the rear port . Have you tried the same files from another drive/port?

Techflaws wrote:

Mine is a WDBHG70000NBK-00 and I’m having no issues. Since so far only people with 01 reported these issues I’d rather say your MP4 problem is not releated to the rear port . Have you tried the same files from another drive/port?

Yes, I’ve tried two different drives and many files, both MP4 and MKV.  They will play fine as long as they are the first file played after a reboot.  The problem only occurs if I play a file, then go to play another once the first one finishes.  And so far it only happens if the drive is connected to the rear port. I’ve not been able to get it to do that with the drive connected to the front port.

So, there goes your theory that it is a bad file or drive.

cew0719 wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

Yes, I’ve tried two different drives and many files, both MP4 and MKV.  They will play fine as long as they are the first file played after a reboot.  The problem only occurs if I play a file, then go to play another once the first one finishes.  And so far it only happens if the drive is connected to the rear port. I’ve not been able to get it to do that with the drive connected to the front port.

could you try running mkvmerge on two of your mkv files then play them one after the other?

just to test his theory 100%

all you have to do is remux it dont change any settings, should only take a few min per file.

Thanks!

Ripcord83 wrote:

cew0719 wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

could you try running mkvmerge on two of your mkv files then play them one after the other?

just to test his theory 100%

all you have to do is remux it dont change any settings, should only take a few min per file.

Thanks!

That is pointless and a waste of time and effort.  The files, mkv OR mp4,  play perfectly if the drive is connected to the front USB port.  I can play one after another after another.  But, when the drive is connected to the rear USB port, I can only play one file before the box has a fatal system error and must restart. 

You guys certainly aren’t having a trivial or imaginary problem here - this player is absolutely loaded with issues.  I’ve dealt with freezing, spontaneous restarts, and unexplainable drive ejections (and netflix credentials issues).  Oh, and this was all before trying a 2TB USB 3.0 drive just today.

Now… the player is freezing left and right.  I initially tried rolling back the latest firmware, which, as usual, doesn’t seem to fix any of the aforementioned problems.  I’ll try the front USB port as a last-ditch effort.  Wish me luck.

That is pointless and a waste of time and effort.  The files, mkv OR mp4,  play perfectly if the drive is connected to the front USB port.  I can play one after another after another.  But, when the drive is connected to the rear USB port, I can only play one file before the box has a fatal system error and must restart.

Ok…well then, have you tried exchanging the box for a new one? It could be a faulty part or FW issue (we still don’t know).

I know a ‘majority’ of the boxes that end in -01 and have this issue are from outside the US.
So it’s entirely possible that ‘newer US made’ models even with -00 have this issue.

Are any US users here have boxes that end in -01?

The only reason why the two of us asked you is becuase not a lot of people are posting this problem about boxes with -00.

Ripcord83 wrote:

Ok…well then, have you tried exchanging the box for a new one? It could be a faulty part or FW issue (we still don’t know).

I know a ‘majority’ of the boxes that end in -01 and have this issue are from outside the US.
So it’s entirely possible that ‘newer US made’ models even with -00 have this issue.

The only reason why the two of us asked you is becuase not a lot of people are posting this problem about boxes with -00.

I am already working with tech support on the issue. The box I have now *IS* a swapped out box.  They hotswapped my original SMP (for other issues) and sent me this one.  This box does not have the severe issues the previous box had, but it does exhibit this issue. 

cew0719 wrote:

Ripcord83 wrote:

I am already working with tech support on the issue. The box I have now *IS* a swapped out box.  They hotswapped my original SMP (for other issues) and sent me this one.  This box does not have the severe issues the previous box had, but it does exhibit this issue. 

ah I see…good luck! Is it a Refurb or New?

I’ve updated to the latest firmware 1.08.17, and this problem still exists.

When this bug will be fixed?

I contacted WD support two week ago. I assume they were trying to understand what is happening. 

If you have any new thoughts on this issue, then share them here. This may help to accelerate it solution.

I have now added a v3 WD LIve (WDBGXT-0000-NBK-01) and am using a 2TB WD Elements 3.5 HDD with a PSU.

As I only use m2ts lossless files I am ready to upgrade to 3tb drives.

Having read through all the threads regarding the apparent issue the Live is having with 3tb and the rear port I have a question.

Has anyone tried the entry level “Elements” Desktop 3.5" USB External Drive with this Player? I ask as if not mistaken, this is still only USB-2 but has a capacity of 3tb.

Also what about the Seagate Go-Flex 3tb. I think I have seen some people have problems “BUT” are they using the USB-3 adapter? It does have a USB-2 adapter option I think?

If it played on the Live via a USB-2 dock you could still load it on PC via a USB-3 dock. Best of Both Worlds! (if it works)

Elements would be my choice though as it’s one of the few drives that doesn’t come preloaded with cr*p nobody wants. For a Media player I want maximum capacity, not annoying virtual CD’s, Backup shedulers etc etc

Angry-Button wrote:

I have now added a v3 WD LIve (WDBGXT-0000-NBK-01) and am using a 2TB WD Elements 3.5 HDD with a PSU.

As I only use m2ts lossless files I am ready to upgrade to 3tb drives.

Having read through all the threads regarding the apparent issue the Live is having with 3tb and the rear port I have a question.

Has anyone tried the entry level “Elements” Desktop 3.5 USB External Drive with this Player? I ask as if not mistaken, this is still only USB-2 but has a capacity of 3tb.

Also what about the Seagate Go-Flex 3tb. I think I have seen some people have problems “BUT” are they using the USB-3 adapter? It does have a USB-2 adapter option I think?

If it played on the Live via a USB-2 dock you could still load it on PC via a USB-3 dock. Best of Both Worlds! (if it works)

Elements would be my choice though as it’s one of the few drives that doesn’t come preloaded with cr*p nobody wants. FOr a Media player I want maximum capacity, not annoying virtual CD’s, Backup shedulers etc etc

I don’t quite understand your question.

SMP models ending in 01, have problems with any discs USB 3.0 connected to the rear ports.
Do not help adapters, external power supply and so on. 

I think that in other respects, the model 01 is no different from the model 00.
Maybe someone else who has more the various drives you to answer.