Import from 4TB mycloud into PR4100 read only

I have a 5 year old 4TB MyCloud drive that was/is dying. So I purchased a PR4100 with 8TB storage. Moving files from the old mycloud to the new drive was goin entirely too slowly so I removed the hard drive from the old mycloud and attached it to my PR4100 with a powered SATA-USB connector.

Using the USB port in the front of the PR4100 drive I started to import the files from the old drive into the PR4100. The problem is that I didn’t make my main share public before I did this so the files that were imported into the PR4100 are read-only and I can’t move them to where I want them or make any changes to them at all.

I did re-connect the old drive as itself and made the folder public and I moved more files - but the drive is essentially dead now (unrecognized filesystem when I connect it) so I can’t easily access the files from it - so, does anyone know how I can make the files read-write? I’ve connected via ftp and tried to chmod the folders/files but no luck. Is there a way to change the permissions in bulk from the mycloud admin panel? Or does anyone know of any other way I can make the folders and files writable?

Thank you in advance.

I had to delete most of my reply

I had almost the same problem moving from a DL-4100 to a PR-4100
But both were still on OS3 and will not work I guess on OS5

I finally just did a USB backup and replaced share by share.

I had 2 copies of the data before starting and backup and restore took a day each.
__
I try to never let a share get larger then the backup disks I have available.
and Using a NAS to NAS backup could have worked before the EX cpu died.

Yeah, I was able to make the folder public and then get some of the folders off through a USB backup of certain folders - but the drive is “dead” now. When I plug it in through the USB port no file system can be read. I have it attached to my laptop and I’m using ibeesoft to get anything else off of it I can - but, whatever has been found isn’t in the previous file structure so it isn’t terribly useful.

I’m just frustrated because I HAVE everything else and I can open it - but I can’t do anything to it at all and there is way to much to individually open every file and “save as” to a new file that I CAN edit.

I was hoping someone might have a trick for changing the file permissions even when windows won’t let you - but I’m not sure there is anything that will work because when I look at the files even the root user doesn’t have any permissions.

See if [NAS_user] or [dswv42] have some answers they have been looking into the guts of the NAS os internals.

I would have to connect my drives to a Raspberry Pi - load raid manager to change file permissions andI might still mess it up :frowning:

as you said there must be a faster way

Caution: I am a hack. I know nothing about Linux. I just spend too much time on forums and playing with Windows PC’s

when you say the drive is “dead”. . . .is it the MyCloud enclosure, or the drive itself?

It sounds like you can access the drive with a PC using the SATA connector? If so. . .what are you using to read the EX4 Linux drive (since Windows won’t read the drive natively)? I think there is freeware you can get to make this happen.

If all the files are on the new NAS. . . . then dswv42’s suggestion should work.

I used a program called ibeesoft that was able to scan the drive and recover data - however, it did not maintain any file structure or filenames - so, fortunately, I didn’t actually need what it recovered.

And, the drive is dead - it was starting to take 5 minutes just to open a folder to view the contents of it… that’s why I got the PR4100 - I just didn’t realize how quickly the drive was dying.

When I connected to the drive using SSH and used chmod - the folder disappeared from the folder structure on the mapped network drive …

BUT, I was able to use the mv command and move all the files from their folder within the default USB_import folder and into my regular share folder and that automatically changed the permissions and all is good.

Yeah, that’s good to know - I did have a small panic attack when it disappeared and I thought I lost everything - fortunately, I noticed that the space on the drive didn’t change so I knew that the files were there somewhere. Sometimes I know enough to be dangerous LOL.

I am relieved to have everything where it needs to be and editable though … and the PR4100 is running much smoother than the old drive.

Thanks for the help! :slightly_smiling_face: