WD Community

I Bought Fake 4TB WD Purple With Valid Serial Number!

I bough 4TB WD Purple but It is look like exactly Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 from ~2012

The PCB is just from Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000

It is with 7200 RPM and 64MB cache

I Check S/N and It’s Appear to be valid with warranty to 2028

How is That Possible???

Is this Fake HDD?

I Contact WD Support and they refuse to understand.

I AM SHOCKED!

Yes, it’s a fake, but don’t rely on WD’s incompetent tech support to help you.

https://community.wd.com/t/wd-red-from-china-is-it-legit/473434/17

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45160

But it has a valid serial number!

The other drives the seller has also feature valid, non-identical serial numbers,
and all of them are accepted and under warranty according to the verification link.

The Kitfox software identified it as WD Ultrastar.

How is that Possible???

The HDD itself is good and fast ~160MB/S and with zero bad sector.

The serial and model numbers can be hacked.

The PCB part number for the WD model should be 2060-810011. Clearly, you have a Hitachi PCB.

Where did you purchase this drive? If it’s working fine, what’s the problem?

Where did you purchase this drive? If it’s working fine, what’s the problem?

Are you for real?

Where did you purchase this drive? If it’s working fine, what’s the problem?

I purchase it from local seller, for 170$.

it’s working fine, and it’s actually an excellent old Hitachi HDD.

I do full scan that take 8 hours with Hard Disk Sentinel and it’s free of bad sectors.

The speed and is constant at 160MBs to 90MBs at the end.

It works smoothly even with my Android phone—is that strange?

I was forced to buy this HDD because I couldn’t find an alternative; there is a severe shortage, and none of the sellers have any stock.

What did WD’s tech support tell you?

What did WD’s tech support tell you?

They feigned ignorance regarding my inquiries, and the specialist told me to return the HDD to the place where I bought it.

I expect that their ignorance is real. That’s why this forum exists.

(post deleted by author)

You can check the drive in CrystalDiskInfo and compare the reported model, firmware, RPM and SMART data with the WD43PURZ label. If it reports 7200 RPM or an old Hitachi model, that mismatch is a much bigger red flag than the PCB itself.

Firmware: MJAOA5F0

Rotation rate: 7200RPM, Cache: 64MB

S.M.A.R.T.: zero power on hours, now it’s 43hs, zero power cycles, now it’s 37, zero bad sector sand CRC errors.

I think it’s very old open box (or reprogramed) MaxDigitalData MD4000GSA6472DVR 4TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA III, witch is originally is HGST.

relabeled as WD purple.

because the PCB pin and HDD itself look like new, no scratches or usage marks.

Support for Western Digital Hard Drives | Western Digital

Still Need Help?

Reach out to Support for more assistance.

Sign in to Your Support Account

Get up-to-date information about your products.

Western Digital Business Portal

Unlock benefits and tools for your business such as enterprise support, pricing and rebate tools, marketing, loyalty, rewards, and more.