How to stop My Cloud Home constant drive internal activity

The My Cloud forum is full of complaints to the constant drive indexing going on. The My Cloud suggestions do not apply to My Cloud Home, such as using SSH to turn off indexing (SSH is disabled on Home). How do you get the My Cloud Home drive to STOP IT? It’s been rattling non-stop for HOURS and running the performance of the drive into the dirt.

Hello,

It is not possible to disable the indexing and thumbnail generation on a My Cloud Home.
Please allow the My Cloud Home sufficient time to index and generate thumbnail views for the added content.
The amount of time required depends on the total size and quantity of data added to the unit.

OK, but the drive is so SLOW right now it is almost useless.
When I first got it yesterday, the copy transfer rate was over 10MB/s, so 85MB copied to the drive in under 10 seconds. Right now, a day later, with no change to anything on the network or systems, the transfer rate is under 500KB/s, so the same 85MB just now took 4 minutes.
Something is not right. Help!

Finally, after 10 hours, the drive quite rattling its brains out and now the copy transfer rate is back up to 10MB/s.
Sure wish there was a way to turn off indexing. Please…

The initial indexing is done, so drive will calm down. You are too impatient; relax and let device do its thing.

It’s only partly loaded (0.5TB or 3.5TB) but I had to stop and wait 10 hours to be able to start loading again. One could call that impatient, but the device “doing its thing”, as you say, is getting in the way. My other drives don’t “do their own thing” – they just store my data.

I don’t need the thumbnails and whatever else it thinks “its thing” is. Perhaps I bought the wrong product.

And, perhaps you have better relaxing skills – what’s your secret?

1 Like

You did not buy a “drive”; you bought a NAS with a drive in it. Not the same thing. That was a lot of data to load. It is possible you did not buy a hefty NAS for the task.

normal nas like cheapest synology for 100$ (DS115J) has 60MB/s upload 100 Download… i have a mycloud home and it is useless…

My WD MyCloud EX2Ultra runs constantly. I can turn off my computer for 3 days and it is still running. It just won’t stop!

Here is discussion about MCH not My cloud two differents products. I have MCH and from my account, i can stop the drive; there is probably that function in your account. Search it and tell me back.

Hi, I have a 6TB MCH. Copied around 1TB personal files to it, that finished 3 days ago. I have shut down my iMac and restarted it numerous times - WfH :slight_smile:

The MCH has not been shut down since. It has been busy - I can here the HDD and actuator arm going - non-stop. I even disconnected the ethernet cable yesterday…Nothing changed.

I know it is not the fastest NAS ‘out there’; and I copied quite a lot of data to it…

I get that it is indexing ‘stuff’. If it is creating thumbnails of photos etc., I have concerned that the used space has not increased (space available - 4.91 TB of 6 TB)

I am very patient… But when do I consider this an issue… another few days, a week, a month???

Also, where is this section, referred to by lebab - I have MCH and from my account, i can stop the drive

Is this just the - Shut down device - option? As I do not think this will fix anything… Upon restarting it - it may start from scratch!!!

I am new to online community forums, I hope this post is OK?

Hi, I figured that I will add to this thread for what it’s worth. I have the WD MyCloud Home Duo 16TB which I’ve set up with the JBOD option for a single 16TB volume. I am not using the web console for managing my data, I have mapped a drive directly to the public folder on the server. I am using the device purely on my internal home network without the need for remote access. I am not using any of the media server options.

I have copied quite a lot of data to it already (a little over 1TB) so if the replies in the thread above are true it is going to be clacking away for some time ‘indexing’ until it settles down. Having said that, I noticed that it was continually clacking away even before I uploaded any data so I am not convinced that constant indexing is the correct answer. Nevertheless, I shall let it work away for some time (days, weeks, months?) until it either settles down or becomes obvious that it is not going to.

I suggest very strongly to the developers of this product that this issue needs to be looked at. It would seem from the forum posts that I have looked at, that there are a number of customers such as myself that are using this product in the more traditional ‘NAS’ implementation where it is acting as pure file storage, not as a media server or photo repository.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this issue. I shall report back with progress on when/if my server settles down.