My Cloud Home: constant disk activity, device warm

A week ago, I copied all of my photos and videos (roughly 2.5 TB) on my brand new 4TB My Cloud Home.

There’s a non-stop disk activity that can be clearly heard and the device is warm (as expected when active for a long time). At first, I thought that the device does some sort of “maintenance” and it will eventually stop. It didn’t. I can’t find anything in the “WD Discovery” software which could relate to this mysterious activity.

Then I thought it must be some sort of data traffic that I don’t know about. I physically disconnected the device from the network, but to my amazement, the activity continued.

What should I do? I really don’t feel comfortable with the sole backup-disk being active 24/7. Surely the mechanical stress will reduce its lifespan. Surely energy is wasted. And, for sure, the constant sound od disk activity is driving me nuts.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I have the same problem with my new Home cloud.
Is there a solution?
thnks

IMPORTANT:

It may take a few hours, days or more to complete Indexing based on the size and type of content. Rebooting will resume indexing.

This applies to the My Cloud Home as well when there is a media dump such as the filling 60% of the disk with media files in the Private folder(s).

There is no option to turn off indexing but you can put media files in the Public folder or into zip or 7z containers to prevent the My Cloud Home OS 4 from indexing them.