How to set my SMB folder to be a password protected folder?

First, I give up to use the MobileApp access to my file.
Second, I do not want to install the additional software. I cannot see the reason to slow down my computer boot up.

I just want to map my MyCloudHome by SMB \\192.168.1.X. I found that the public folder can be access by anyone in my network.

Anyone know how to add a password protected folder to restrict the access.

1 Like

I think the answers lies in the folders name “Public”

If you browse your network the drive should show up on there, map it and then create a new folder outside “Public”, then only people using your login and password will have access to it.

You can also look at the folders and create them over the net, if you would prefer.

You cannot add a password protected folder inside Public that would require a user to authenticate.

As you’ve already said, anyone can access Public.

And the My Cloud Home does not support SMB mounts natively to other Private User Spaces without the use of their software:

I really think MCH is a 8086 aged product. Which should be banned ASAP and stop selling in the market.

I have so many device such as Scanner, Fax, TV Box, they all connect the network though SMB. How come the designer create something that have no “Network Security” function? It is a serious network security issue.

Could somebody tell me how to install the WD discovery in my FAX machine, Scanner, TV Box? I know it impossible, just asking.

Now I feel I am naked in the network!

I am very disappoint to this product, and feel unlucky to purchase this product.

2 Likes

The My Cloud Home is not billed as being a general purpose NAS – it’s not even included under the NAS section of the WD website. It’s called “Personal Cloud” which is a dead giveaway that it’s not going to be an ordinary storage device.

WD sells other NASes that do what you want. A general purpose NAS like the EX2 would have been a better choice for what you’re wanting to do.

No it wasn’t a dead giveaway that is wasn’t really a NAS device. I took it as a marketing ploy, selling NAS to non-techie types who might not know the term. I was prepared to believe it might not have RAID 5. That it would be so limited a device I did not imagine.

In the world of home entertainment, many audio and video devices now connect to NAS devices. MCH is very poor at this because of the reasons many people have pointed out, namely the awkward network access provisions, the inflexibiiity of the folder structure, and the very poor media server available for it. For all of those reasons, it fails to be useful for a significant portion of its intended market, home users who want network access to audio and video files around the house from various computer and non-computer devices. If WD doesn’t address these shortcomings, MCH will die a swift death.

1 Like

While it’s intent is not to be sold as a NAS device, this isn’t an excuse to ignore basic user security and protection. Why is it marketed as a media center? Why does it support plex then (stripped down version btw)? IFTT? Why does it connects to all your social accounts, dropbox, google so easily to make a so called “backup” (even though the sync feature in google drive does not download newly pushed content on regular basis and fails most of the time)? I cannot stand the “this product is not a NAS, don’t expect it to be reliable/that feature is not fully compatible, you should have known better too bad…” anymore. At the price you pay the device, what it claims it can do (but cannot do it reliably) at the price you pay for it, it is nothing more than a pretty brick. No more no less.

3 Likes

how can I map it?
Many thanks

You can easily create private and secured user spaces in My Cloud Home (MCH), just not on SMB (see 3rd post and link). Apparently the non-home version My Cloud (MC) supports this and WebDav.

But I have a M1 processor, i can only access from smb, as I understand.
Can you explain better how to create secure folder without wd discovery.

Many thanks

You cannot create a folder outside “Public” because “Public” is a share, not a folder.

1 Like