How to mount Live Duo disks in Ubuntu 14.04?

It’s my first time posting and thanks for your reading!

I have been using WD Live Duo for a few months. Unfortunately it has recently failed showing constant blue light only. At first I thought that it was just not starting well but after a few emails with the WD Support Team, Live Duo’s enclousure looks mechanically malfunctioning. So any debrick methods introduced in this forum is not an option for my case. In fact WD recommended to start RMA.

Before I send this unit back to WD, I wish to recover the data as much as possible. So I took two disks out of Live Duo and put into the Ubuntu machine (See the attached figure below) but Ubuntu reported the error in mouting the disk. WD service replied that they do not support the data recovery using Linux. They recommended to use Windows PC and buy “Data Recovery” software or else use WD’s 3rd party data recovery commercial service companies. 

As a last resort, I hope to get expert’s help from here. Please advice your thought. More details are following:

Question: Does anyone know (i.e. linux commands) how to mount Live Duo disks in Ubuntu 14.04?

==Live Duo specification==

Model: WD Live Duo 4 TB (2x2TB disks)

Raid configuration: Linear or Span mode to use the entire 4 TB space

Hard drive status: Hard drives are intact. When tested using PC’s BIOS supported low-level hard drive checking service, it showed no error.

==Recovery PC configuration==

Connection: Two Live Duo disks are connected each to 2nd (Drive A) and 3rd SATA (Drive B) ports. The first SATA is occupied by non-WD disk which is 1 TB disk to run Ubuntu.

Status: Two SATA disks are automatically recognized by Ubuntu as RAID(Linear) but it reports the error in mounting the file system.

==Error Message==
Error mounting /dev/md3 at /media/xxxxx/a897da10-87d5-40b2-99d0-1e68a54acaac: Command-line `mount -t “ext4” -o “uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid” “/dev/md3” “/media/xxxxx/a897da10-87d5-40b2-99d0-1e68a54acaac”’ exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md3,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

(udisks-error-quark, 0)

So it looks that I should adjust some mounting options or manually mount disks. If anybody has a related experience, please advice the procedure. 

Hi,

One of the users did a guide a while back.

See if the following link helps.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/GUIDE-Debrick-a-MyBookLive-DUO/m-p/544860/highlight/true#M3749

Please note that this is not supported directly by WD.

If you need further information on Data Recovery services please see the following link

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en