1 528MB 2576MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
2 2576MB 4624MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
4 4624MB 3001GB 2996GB ext4 primary raid

(parted) quit
MyBookLiveDuo:~# e2fsck /dev/sda4
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
/dev/sda4: clean, 73380/45565440 files, 3484806/45714527 blocks
MyBookLiveDuo:~#

I read somewhere that having all four drive show as primary raid is not correct.

What next should I do?

you may need to dismantle the array and attempt to manually recover data

consumer disks are unsuitable for RAID which should be left to data centers

Well, these are the drives that came with the product.

I feel confident enough in my skills to continue forward to recover data. I need the data right now as I am on a deadline to finish a project that was mothballed for several years but has come roaring back just this week.

The data recovery software I use most is R-Studio and there is a version called R-Linux for Windows that recovers data for the ext2/ext3/ext4 file system. I have already installed it.

Do you have experience with this and if so what additional advice can you give.

if you have a desktop with linux it is not super hard to check but I hope you have lots of storage for recovered files

I picked up a USB to SATA cable and I am running R-Linux on windows. R-Linux finds the hard drive and the data. If I use R-Studio or any other basic windows file recovery software it will see RAID structure but not data.

I def need something to put all this data on but so far I see everything I need to recover and it is in good shape.

This reply might be a bit late, but there’s been some solutions that have been around for several years.

It’s not possible to mount the drives from the MBL Duo directly on a fresh Linux system. It’s partly because of the bizarre set-up of the partitions, which caused me a few days of grief trying to figure out why the drive refused to mount.

But a couple of things worked:

1. Use debugfs to access the partition - typically on /dev/sdX4.
    Then use rsync to extract the entire share directory.

2. Use fuseext2 to access the partition
    I first chanced upon the answer here - hard drive - Recover data from RAID1 array (My Book Live Duo) - Ask Ubuntu , which then lead me to this blog post at http://john-hunt.com/2013/04/25/recovering-data-from-a-wd-mybook-live-2tb-3tbor-similar/

fuseext2 was taking way too long for me, running into several days to extract just a fraction of the 1.7TB of data I had on my RAID1 array. On the other hand, debugfs seemed to work much better, although that also took me roughly a week at a rate of 10GB/hr for the rsync.

It was such a painful experience that I might never buy a WD NAS ever again…