How to install Midnight Commander

Hello,

I just bought an EX2, made a firmware update and set it up with two 4 TB HDD. So far so good. I don’t like the poor speed over the GBit-LAN. But this is not my main problem.

I want to use the NAS a data grave. That’s why I would like to copy all files from another USB-HDD to the NAS using ssh. It’s hard for me to do it with “cp” or other stuff. That’s why I would like to have Midnight Commander installed.

I already know, that it is possible with other WD NAS products. Sometimes one can use “apt-get”; somtimes “aptitude”. But none of it works with my device. It’s a waste of time and resources to copy the files via smb HDD(extern) → NAS → Client → NAS(intern HDD). I would like to copy HDD(extern) → NAS(intern HDD). And I would like to do it with my beloved mc.

I would install mc the hard way by copying the binary file from somewhere to the NASs path. But I would prefer the official way.

Thanks for any advice, Alex

Hello and welcome to the WD community.

I have not tried this since it is not supported. lets see if another user can share some tips and information on this matter.

I’m just curious about that.

I have a Dreambox with a Linux system installed. It’s BusyBox, too. It’s almost the same version. And this satellite receiver would not need a Midnight Commander, but has installed it as well.

A NAS, which is supposed to be comfortable for every data operation should have it, but don’t? This I really can’t understand. And I can’t believe that it should be impossible to install packages. This ultra small Debian distribution should be able to install packages and has with dpkg a tool onboard, which could handle it. And that is not the only tool I’m missing. md5sum doesn’t work, even if “busybox” keeps telling me with “Currently defined functions:” it should be working.

I just want to know how to install any other software package. This would make me help myself with the rest - with Midnight Commander.

Or is there any other tool beside “cp” to copy/move files inside the NAS without copy it to a client and back?

For me that’s one reason more to send it back and never purchase a WD NAS again.

so far so good…

Since there is a directory “/home/sqeezecenter” I believe it could be Busybox alias Debian Sqeeze. So I got all needed packages from hereand installed them. Some of them I need to force via “dpkg -i --force-depends”.

The only problem left are the not working key in PuTTY. I got 10 days left to decide to give the EX2 back. So I don’t give up, yet!

But as well any advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

Nice work :D

and thanks!

Hello,

Can you please put the steps you followed to install mc?

I tried to install but I got stuck at this point:

# dpkg -i libc-bin_2.11.3-4_armel.deb
Unpacking libc-bin (from libc-bin_2.11.3-4_armel.deb)…
dpkg: can’t open ‘/var/lib/dpkg/info/libc-bin.conffiles’: No such file or directory

There is also just a simple way to install mc on EX2 without firmware change: just extract this archive http://en.studioios.ru/soft/mc-wd-my-cloud-ex2.tar.gz in /mnt/HD/HD_a2/ folder and execute /mnt/HD/HD_a2/mc/mc in shell.
Thanks to nativnux.com guys!

3 Likes

@FiZ thanks for that solution. But I cant get it to work, probably my lacking linux skills.
I extracted it like you said, tried to execute it…

wd

Not sure whats the problem, can someone help?

@LeChuck It worked for me, when I copied contents of xbin to /system/xbin

1 Like