How to direct download files into vlc for ios?

that is not my general view here … what I paid is whatever it is and i have not assumed anything about what I am entitled to or not. My discussion was focused around how to get the URL of a file on my NAS in order to type that into the app. but since discovered other ways to get files transferred.

no longer will be monitoring this thread, it seems the discussion is turning towards some other trajectory i did not intend it to, that is not my fault.

I think it should be looked at closely by a moderator.

Taking offence at innocuous comments from people trying to help you is all down to you, I’m afraid.

the comments are actually driven by some preminition or notion which is not relavent or valid here.

Nope; that’s just you reading meaning that isn’t there.

I never set a specific orientation. Why do this since the orientation changes as I turn the phone. Just unlock any orientation and be done with it.
When I asked Siri, I saw that after a change is made to reboot the phone. Did you ask Siri yet and follow the described steps?

Oh, and thanks for confirming you are sensitive to comments about your X phone. Your extended reply proves it. :wink:

OK, you have forced my hand, this is what a real X phone jibe looks like. It is a description of the current update to my Slacker app which currently says at the Apple app store: LOL, I found the comment hilarious; don’t you?

What’s New
Version History
Feb 12, 2018 Version 7.19.1

Hey, fancypants. Look at you over here with your shiny, gorgeous iPhone X. While the rest of us are driving around on tires past their tread limits with a cracked iPhone 6 plugged into our cigarette lighters, please, I beg of you, update Slacker for better X support and crash fixes so you can fully enjoy your upscale Apple experience. The rest of us will dream of better phones and better lives while waiting in the drive-thu for our 99-cent tacos and wistfully remembering the days when phones cost less than a thousand FREAKING dollars. #jealousyisanuglyemotion #canIpleaseborrowyourcoolphone

Sorry, I could not resist, but we still love ya!

what is this supposed to mean, then ? you wrote it, you enlighten us

again, finding myself on exorbiant comments which obviously have meanings that trancends the normal more ‘polite’ tones one would expect when discussing a topic like this.

if this conversation went down in-person, it could have went in either direction, depending on the TONE and MANNER.

in a forum, need to be careful what is said.

i cannot say i’ve taken the steps that you have on here and again i am impartial to the matters you brought up and continued to assume.

if you absolutely MUST have the last word, go ahead. I will keep flagging your posts.

That you should expect to get support for a product you have paid for, not from one that is free, developed by volunteers.

As I said.

I don’t care how much you paid for your Apple product. Just as you shouldn’t care how much I paid for my iPad.

Because of Apple’s walled garden mentality for their products and apps you may have to resort to using a file manager app to copy the media files from your local network My Cloud to your iOS device.

I use VLC on an Android device and am not seeing a similar option/feature to download a file using VLC. Instead on the Android version it will access the local My Cloud DLNA (Twonky) Media server. Unfortunately for remote My Cloud access one is forced to use either MyCloud.com or the WD My Cloud mobile app. The My Cloud mobile app will download a file locally so one can use their media player app on the device to play the file.

It will also access the MyCloud SMB server.

@cs7404

First, in no way would I take back my comment that the tip you posted early on is the best tip I ever saw in the forum. I took the steps and added movies and music to the VLC on my iPad and it worked great. Nice find.

The conversation went downhill as I attempted to instruct you on how to adjust the orientation of your iPhone screen to landscape mode. I still don’t know if you ever asked your iPhone (aka Siri) how its done. I suggest you do.

Now you tell me you have flagged me for making comments about the iPhone X and showing you the comments made by Slacker app about their latest app update. If you think I made this up, go look up the app at Apple Store!

Any moderator who looks at this thread will LOL when he sees it. I was never impolite to you, insulting, or anything negative.toward you. I will be monitoring this thread to see if you ever get your orientation straightened out, and without any further comment from me.

Bennor,

i agree with you, thats understood about apple’s methods.

in the ios app, in the settings, there is a network section. one option to stream from a device (the nas, for instance), another to download or transfer either via itunes file sharing or by putting in the url of the file).

an android tablet or phone has the ability to add/delete files to the device because it has a built-in file explorer of sorts.

i suspect the reason i can download and add files into the vlc app for ios is due to the lack of a file explorer for ios.

in essence, vlc provided ios users with a quasi-file explorer of sorts. adding that functionality is welcome, imo, whereas i would have been stuck to strictly streaming.

i was not talking to you in my 2nd to last post.

take a break from the forums for the night, relax your brain.

i know where the portrait lock is on iphone.

what you did not get, is that i was asking whether the vlc app had a landscape lock of its own.

reread the conversation and think about where you were coming from …

1. It might be a good idea to indicate who you are addressing sometimes

2. I have no idea if VLC has a screen orientation mode. I rather think not; it’s likely left to the device I would think.

After changing your orientation did you lock it in place via a reboot of phone (holding in power switch until the apple logo shows)?

Yes it will. I don’t normally use VLC (use MX Player instead) on my Android devices.

I dug out the iPad, and updated VLC to the latest version my old iOS will support.

On the iPad, when playing video, there’s a three-dot menu in the bottom right corner. That has four items. One of them is a circular arrow with a padlock inside it. This locks the screen rotation.

thanks for finding it.

i toggled it before and saw that it locked the controls, did not pay attention to it locking landscape view as well.

I just checked it out, too, and saw that it does not affect screen orientation. It makes sense that it would affect the controls. Where is the Help for this darn app, anyway?

@CP, you had to “dig out” your iPad? Too bad. We use ours a lot every day.
VLC is a great app, too. It gets high acclaim.