How do I uninstall 1.04?

How do I uninstall 1.04.  WD has rendered my video collection useless.  I can’t watch anything on my Nas server.

Its all here - download the firmware from this page and follow the instructions.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

1 Like

THANKS

Is it common knowledge that these instructions simply do not work?

When I had my WDTV Live up to 1.04.22 on the weekend - and attempted to follow these instructions (to rollback to 1.02.21 via manual flash drive) - line by line - there is no “new firmware found” icon on my device. Presumably because the firmware on my USB drive is older than what’s installed. So I had to edit a file to make the device think that the files on the USB drive are newer than what’s installed.

Any reason why this key bit of info is not in this page? Or am I doing something wrong?

VP

Vocalpoint wrote:

Is it common knowledge that these instructions simply do not work?

When I had my WDTV Live up to 1.04.22 on the weekend - and attempted to follow these instructions (to rollback to 1.02.21 via manual flash drive) - line by line - there is no “new firmware found” icon on my device. Presumably because the firmware on my USB drive is older than what’s installed. So I had to edit a file to make the device think that the files on the USB drive are newer than what’s installed.

Any reason why this key bit of info is not in this page? Or am I doing something wrong?

VP

Did you download the firmware from the rollback page.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

The 1.02.21 firmware is named wdtvlive_1_2_21_V_Rollback.zip and the version number in the ver file is 2.02.21 which is greater than anything released. So yes you must be doing something wrong.

Yeah, confirmed that if you download the firmware from the regualar download page or try to use an old firmware file it won’t see it - you have to download the version from the rollback page, or modify the file. It actually points this out in the article too lol.

Ah - I see…so they “modified” that file for me and dropped it into those special archives.:slight_smile:

Again - they should have some sort of disclaimer stating that the “official” firmware downloaded from the “official” page won’t work.

Cheers,

VP

Vocalpoint wrote:

Ah - I see…so they “modified” that file for me and dropped it into those special archives.:slight_smile:

Again - they should have some sort of disclaimer stating that the “official” firmware downloaded from the “official” page won’t work.

Cheers,

VP

If you read the article you will see that they don’t really recommend that you downgrade. Its only just recently that they have actually supplied instructions and firmware for downgrading. In the past you had to find the old firmware somewhere on the web, edit the ver file and then downgrade. Having this rollback page has made the whole process much simpler  and I think WD should be congratulated on doing at least one thing correctly. It also shows that they now recognise that their upgrades are not always a step forward.

richUK wrote:

If you read the article you will see that they don’t really recommend that you downgrade. Its only just recently that they have actually supplied instructions and firmware for downgrading. In the past you had to find the old firmware somewhere on the web, edit the ver file and then downgrade. Having this rollback page has made the whole process much simpler  and I think WD should be congratulated on doing at least one thing correctly. It also shows that they now recognise that their upgrades are not always a step forward.

Trust me - I would love to stay current and be on the latest firmware - but we seem to be stuck with a device (and firmware) that simply defies logic to me. Every person who has purchased this device should have pretty much the same device and we are all using the same firmware files…yet - an update here pretty much renders my unit useless while others seem to have no issues.

Every other device that I have ever purchased with updatable firmware works exactly like the guy down the street with the same unit after an update. It is baffling to me  - how we could all be affected differently by the same hardware and the same firmware update.

VP

Vocalpoint wrote:

richUK wrote:

Trust me - I would love to stay current and be on the latest firmware - but we seem to be stuck with a device (and firmware) that simply defies logic to me. Every person who has purchased this device should have pretty much the same device and we are all using the same firmware files…yet - an update here pretty much renders my unit useless while others seem to have no issues.

Every other device that I have ever purchased with updatable firmware works exactly like the guy down the street with the same unit after an update. It is baffling to me  - how we could all be affected differently by the same hardware and the same firmware update.

VP

I must admit that baffles me as well. Are they constantly changing the hardware design and we all have slightly different units or is it the tolerances of internal components. Its a mystery and if WD know I’m sure they will never tell us. We will have to wait and read it on Wikileaks :wink:

Vocalpoint wrote:

richUK wrote:

VP

Thats a great theory… another possibility is that we are all playing different file types, and have different networks, and different external devices connected to the unit.

So I might have Wifi dongle A, NAS X and Y, and a Windows 7 Ultimate PC trying to play 1 kind of MKV through a network share, wheras you might have wifi dongle B, NAS Z, and a Windows 7 Basic PC trying to play a differently encoded mkv through a media server - same device, totally different results. And all the different possible combinations must make testing the device nearly impossible (hence why i’m guessing they have the open betas from time to time).

Ardvark wrote:> Thats a great theory… another possibility is that we are all playing different file types, and have different networks, and different external devices connected to the unit.

So I might have Wifi dongle A, NAS X and Y, and a Windows 7 Ultimate PC trying to play 1 kind of MKV through a network share, wheras you might have wifi dongle B, NAS Z, and a Windows 7 Basic PC trying to play a differently encoded mkv through a media server - same device, totally different results. And all the different possible combinations must make testing the device nearly impossible (hence why i’m guessing they have the open betas from time to time).

No doubt there are different elements in play…but by now some 2 years after introduction - you would think these guys would have gotten their collective s*** together. I mean how hard is it to test a 24/96 FLAC file in 2009 vs 2011…I would think that pretty much all 24/96 FLAC files are the same…and we have been creating them for years…yet they still haven;t figured out how to get it to play right

Video formats like MKV, WMV…I mean cmon - after 2 years of testing every bloody possibility out there - you think they would have had that one down by now. It’s not like we are dealing 5000 MKV formats…

And network - well…in all my experience -  a device should care less if it’s talking to a linux box, a Windows Home Server or a Windows 7 pro install…networking should be a non issue by now. All my computers whether 10 years old or 10 hours old can connect to every other box in the joint…espeically when using the “wired” connection. I do understand some of the issues with wireless but again - this has been around for years and there are a boatload of standards there too…it should just work by now.

But the big mystery is how my WDTV box - working perfectly with my simple hardware and network and 1.02.21 can be suddenly be such a paperweight when I move to 1.04.22. My install/infrsatructure is about as plain and standard as it gets…using the wired connection to a simple Windows share, single HDMI connection and using the same MKV, FLAC and MP3 files I have had for ages and the new firmware completely collapses.

You have to wonder just how much testing is really going on inside WD - becuase from where I am sitting - it seems like it’s non-existant.

Cheers,

VP