Help please on up dating firmware on my wd tv live and some questions

I bought this wd tv live  (WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN) about 2 years ago and have never updated it.

I have only used this on usb flash drives (ntfs) and a usb harddrives. So far it seems to work OK . Once in a while I get a MKV file that will not play or the sound doesn’t work. But all in all it works not bad.

Should I update? From what I gather is from some people here are saying they are having worse problems than before the update. Is this true? Also… Since I have never updated my wdtv do I have to do prior updates before I can update to the laciest firmware? Or can I just do the laciest firmware?

I’m kind of nervous about doing the firmware since I have never done one before. And also there is that good old saying if it isn’t broke don’t fix it :slight_smile:

I will appreciate opinions on this.

Thank you

If it works for you, best to leave it as-is!  :)

You might want to try a newer version which should cure the lack of sound on some of your MKV’s. I think around 1.03.43 they added compatibility with compressed headers, which had been causing players to lock up or not play the soundtrack of some files.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

I’ve updated to 1.04.22 - the last release which has given me no problems. You can install any firmware, and even roll back to a previous version. This version also writes resume points to the USB drive, which is pretty nice.

Thank you for the link and your information. You mentioned to up date to 1.04.22 ver. I was wondering…

Are the roll backs on the link you gave me roll backs or they all updates also?  I did not see my version 1.01.00 there.

I downloaded the 1.04.22 and the file was " Rollback_wdtvlive_1.04.22_V.zip" inside the zip were the 3 file all the updates have wdtvlive.bin, wdtvlive.fff, and wdtvlive.ver.

Am I right to assume that the roll backs are updates? And I can use any of these update/roll backs in any order if the update I install doesn’t work the way I like it to?  Or… They should be installed in a proper order?

I have never done firmware before and I am not sure if the firmware replace the programing or it adds to the programing (like windows uodates) Some updates have to be updated in order.

Thank you and I will be waiting patiently for your reply :slight_smile:

No, rollback files are for going BACKWARDS, but you can use them for going forwards too, if youre careful.

OK … What does this mean then. I can’t use these roll backs because my version installed is 1.01.00?

So if I install a update I won’t be able to go back at all since they don’t have a roll back? I guess I can’t use any of these roll backs?

What about the updates is it wise to go from 1.01.00 to 1.04.22? IMaybe I should update to 1.02.21 than to 1.04.22 just incase? or it doesn’t work this way?

You can upgrade directly to the latest version, you do not have to incrementally update. If you upgrade to the latest firmware and you find that something doesn’t work right, you can roll back using one of the versions in the link that mabuk posted. You will not be able to go back to 1.01.00 unless you find that version somewhere on the internet.

You have really old firmware and you would probably benefit from a newer version.

All of the files listed on the page I linked to will install on your system. You could, in fact,  randomly pick all of the files successively and they would all install without altering them

If you ‘right-click’ the ‘wdtvlive.ver’ file, then you can choose to open it with the notepad and you will see the following: VERSION='4.04.22_V’. The WDTV reads this line and sees a higher firmware number than that currently installed, and then gives you the option to install. (It actually still installs 1.04.22, it just being told that it’s installing 4.04.22).

If you find a copy of your oiginal firmware you could just edit the ‘wdtvlive.ver’ with the notepad, so that the version number is higher than the one installed. Obviously, with all the rollback firmwares that WD supply, they’ve already done this. By sticking a ‘4’ at the front of the version number they’ve ensured that the unit will always offer to upgrade to any of the listed files (since the actual firmwares installed are all ‘1.0.XX.XX’.

Hope this helps.