How do I make srt files subtitles appear on screen when I play an avi file?

I have a selection of foreign language avi files on my WD Media Player, all of which have accompanying .srt files. Is there a way to activate the subtitle (.srt) file so that they show up when I play the avi?

Thanks heaps in advance

How are you playing the avi files - are they on an attached disc or network. Are you using a media server. Do the srt files have exactly the same file name as the corresponding avi files. Have you selected the subtitles in the option menu.

[How are you playing the avi files - are they on an attached disc or network. Are you using a media server. Do the srt files have exactly the same file name as the corresponding avi files. Have you selected the subtitles in the option menu.]

I’m playing the avi files through a WD Media Player, as you normally would I suppose. No media server or disc or network.

The files I have are ‘The.Secret.In.Their.Eyes.2009.DVDRip.XviD.AC3-ViSiON.avi’ and ‘The.Secret.In.Their.Eyes.2009.DVDRip.XviD.AC3-ViSiON.English.srt’. Both are stored in the same folder on the WD Media Player.

Basically if I play the avi file on my PC using VLC player the subtitles come up automatically, and are large and clear. However if I play on the WD media player there are no subtitles. I have switched the WD Media Player subtitles options on but they are so small and tight you can barely read them.

Is there a way to combine the files or to allow thw WD media player to recognise the .srt file so that those subtitles appear?

The file names have to match exactly… take the “.English” out of the .srt filename.

Cheers Roofing Guy, I’ll give it a try :smileyvery-happy:

Actually I’ve just renamed one of my own rips to

The.Secret.In.Their.Eyes.2009.DVDRip.XviD.AC3-ViSiON.avi

The.Secret.In.Their.Eyes.2009.DVDRip.XviD.AC3-ViSiON.ENGLISH.srt

The.Secret.In.Their.Eyes.2009.DVDRip.XviD.AC3-ViSiON.en.srt

and on my LIVE with 1.04.31 the subs display just fine which is what I expected since this is usually the case when the word stem is identical. Your HDD is not by any chance formatted to FAT32?