After much experimentation I was finally able to make my WD Media Player ‘see’ the folders and files I chose to share on my PCs. This was done through Content Source: Media Share. Only problem now is that the external subtitles (.srt file) do not display during playback.
I have read (most) related topics here and I’m still nowhere near a solution. Things I’ve checked:
- movie filename (.mkv) and subtitle filename (.srt) are exactly the same (I always copy-paste filenames)
- movie file and movie subtitle are both located inside the same folder
- tried with short filenames (e.g. Movie.mkv) and longer ones (e.g. Movie_1996_HD_1080p.mkv)
- Video Options > Subtitle Default: On
Two observations which may yield a clue to someone (definitely not me here lol):
a) .mkv files with embedded subs work as intented (can select subs or turn them off)
b) .mkv files played back from an external USB source (Content Source: Local Storage) also work flawlessly!!!
One last thing to note: I read that I should press the Options button during playback and select the desired subtitle from the menu there. However, my menu on ALL movies played back from my Media Share sources only displays these options:
- Play Mode
- Audio Lip Sync
- Zoom & Pan
- Post Comment on Facebook>
On the other hand, i.e. when the subtitles are embedded to the .mkv file OR the video file plays from a ‘Local Storage’ (USB), the Subtitles option appears up there normally.
My device is a ‘WD TV Live Streaming Media Player’, firmware version 1.03.10, s/n WNC421620877.