Help with and questions about Plex app installation on WD My Cloud

Hello,

I have some questions about the Plex app on the WD My Cloud. I have two 8TB My Cloud devices and one 8TB My Cloud Mirror. I have been able to get the Plex app installed on one of the My Cloud and also on the My Cloud Mirror. The Plex interface has been sort of confusing to me over the past few months I have been trying to set it up. But I got it figured out a little more and now notice that the second My Cloud does not have an option to add additional apps, such as Plex, through the settings dashboard.

I did some reading on the WD Community forums here and what I discovered is that the more recent 8TB My Cloud I got is a “lower end” model. I got the first My Cloud a little less than a year ago, and the second one just about a month ago. I didn’t realize there would be different versions of the same product. I guess my mistake there. I always try to do my homework when making bigger purchases like this but I guess I missed that tidbit. I got this newer one from Best Buy and I doubt that means anything in the grand scheme of things, but it’s probably been too long to return it.

I did see some mentions about being able to still install the Plex server on WD devices that do not allow the “add an app” option, but overall what I read is that it isn’t a good idea to do. If it is even possible… I wasn’t able to find any instructions on actually how to do so.

This leads me to some additional discussion for help… I also dug up some feedback people have left about the Plex server/app on the WD devices. Some say that it uses a lot of resources and one person was saying you should only use Plex if you have nothing else to play/view/etc your files from.

I, like many others, seem to like the Plex interface for the the nice and pretty user experience for lack of a better description. That might be my main reason for using it. I do have the WD My Cloud app which I’ve been able to get to connect to the devices and it has been working for playing files both locally and remotely. So…what is the overall consensus about using the Plex server on WD devices? Will it cause problems with the devices over time? Is there another Plex-like app that is better served to view your files in a organized setting?

Thanks in advance for any help and any further discussion about this topic!