Help transferring mac passport contents to new PC

Hi,
I had been using a mac and backing up with a passport external drive, including the day before the mac died…but now I just tried to plug the external drive into my new PC and it is not even recognizing that it’s there.

any help/advice is greatly appreciated so that I can access the data/files/pictures from the passport. I really really would like access to my pictures and files on my new computer. I didn’t imagine this would be an issue because I have had no trouble using thumbdrives interchangeably between macs and PCs.

I already have a new external drive for the PC once it’s set up so I don’t need to reformate the mac passport, only harvest contents.

thanks so much for your time!

Hi mlfgordon,

Well if its not recognizing in mac, we need to make sure that the drive was formatted in which file system as if the drive was formatted in macOS extended journal then you wont be able to access the drive in windows. However, if you want to use the drive in windows PC, then you must install the drive in any macOS PC and then try to create the backup of the external drive in PC and then reformat the drive in exFAT in order to use it in both windows and mac OS. You can refer to the below link.

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows and macOS
Instructions to Format a Drive for Use with Windows or macOS

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll try that.