Help Please - After Firmware Update No Energy Saver Function

Prior to the latest firmware update, I had no problems getting the energy saver feature to work.  However, since installing the latest firmware update, it never kicks in at all.  I have tried rebooting, I have tried unchecking it saving it, re-checking it and saving it, and I have tried nearly all suggestions of the past I have read on the forums since 2011, but no luck.  Any ideas what is going on?  

BTW, it has been 3 days since I installed the update, so it isn’t from rebuilding the drive, etc. since I have very little data on it right now.  Very disappointing since I don’t like having it run all the time and the main reason I went with the My Book is I had read so many positive features, particularly the “energy saver” mode and was estatic when I hooked it up and within a few hours after the intial install and loading some data on it, I saw the blue light on.  

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Switch off remote access and the Drive will sleep once again. Another flaky firmware update is to blame I’m afraid.

vpasq,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the My Book Live after performing the firmware update. We have noted your concerns in your case and will thoroughly investigate the cause of the issue you are experiencing. I have forwarded your concerns to our technical support team in your region and should you require additional support, we would appreciate the opportunity to assist you directly to ensure your concerns are properly handled. Please contact our technical support team in your region for immediate support. http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

We thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Mike

I have done this (for now) but as I understand things, this means I no longer have access via the internet or within my home wifi using my Ipad, Iphone and wireless laptop correct?  That won’t work and defeats the purpose of why I installed my “personal cloud.”  

I will follow up with the offered tech support with high hopes!  You are right, that is a flaky expectation/solution.  

Many thanks though for your assistance as I am puzzeled.  As an after-note, tonight while working on my computer I watched the My Book Live and several times the light did turn blue, but then immediately went green where is is normally staying now.  UGH!!!

Thank you Mike for your response and I will contact the support link you provided as I DO REQUIRE CONTINUED ASSISTANCE, as the matter continues - green-green-green, and no energy saving feature.

vpasq wrote:

I have done this (for now) but as I understand things, this means I no longer have access via the internet or within my home wifi using my Ipad, Iphone and wireless laptop correct?  That won’t work and defeats the purpose of why I installed my “personal cloud.”  

I will follow up with the offered tech support with high hopes!  You are right, that is a flaky expectation/solution.  

Many thanks though for your assistance as I am puzzeled.  As an after-note, tonight while working on my computer I watched the My Book Live and several times the light did turn blue, but then immediately went green where is is normally staying now.  UGH!!!

Yes and NO!  It is true you won’t be able to access your data from a tablet, mobile phone or remote web browser.  You should however be able to access your data on your home network i.e. mapped shares on your Laptop.

Thanks Jacko, I found that out after I played around with my laptop after disabling the remote access.  Another thought, since it worked before the firmware update, is there a way to revert to aformer firmware?  Or if I reset to factory settings, knowing I will have to start all over, will that work?  I really don’tlikehanging no energy saver since years ago i had a WD Book heat up to where it melted the outer case (luckily I was home and smelled it) so I am paranoid thatAndy disk active all the time could do this.    I’ll try to see if tech support has any solutions on mon .

Thanks Jacko, I found that out after I played around with my laptop after disabling the remote access.  Another thought, since it worked before the firmware update, is there a way to revert to aformer firmware?  Or if I reset to factory settings, knowing I will have to start all over, will that work?  I really don’tlikehanging no energy saver since years ago i had a WD Book heat up to where it melted the outer case (luckily I was home and smelled it) so I am paranoid that Andy disk active all the time could do this.    I’ll try to see if tech support has any solutions on mon .

Sadly you can’t rollback to older firmware without causing harm.  I have the previous version on my computer, however, when I tried a rollback I immediatley received an error message.  Remote access isn’t working properly anyhow so you may as well just disable it unitl there is a fix.  You will still be able to access data on your Laptop.

If I understand this post correctly WD is admitting that the firmware update is flawed. This is one of several reasons why you should absolutely not have the automatic update feature enabled. It is disgraceful that wd would send out an update without thoroughly checking it first.

Sadly it appears to be par for the course with many of these software companies. Parallels Desktop has just released a new version and that has plenty of bugs similarly Acronis, problems with every update I’ve used. They now use their customers as beta testers.