Git Server for My Cloud DL4100

I chose the DL4100 several years ago due to its capacity and due to the assertion that the MyCloud apps should be cross-compatible (at least one of which came with a git app). Soon after receiving it I learned there was no git app, and that the one provided for other versions of My Cloud did not install on the DL4100. I have waited for the last 3-4 years for this to change and found that it has not.

Git is one the most commonly used tool for version control, and it’s still not supported on this device :/.

Can we please have a git server for the DL4100? Or, worst case scenario, does anyone know of a way to install git on it (maybe via ssh?) while maintaining the other features of the device?

Git is available via entware

Hello, @Tfl thanks for the link. I’ve not seen that community download page before. Is there a reason you prefer Entware to say nbzget or docker? I primarily ask because I noticed the availablity of those two (fairly well-known) packages, and this is really the first time I’ve heard of Entware. It would be great if npm/yarn were available.

Additionally, I found docker has a gitlab package available. Has anyone tried installing that or, even better, does anyone have any instructions for setting that up on the MyCloud?

Would that need to be set up in conjunction with the git, git-http packages available through entware?

I’ve also found different sets of setup instructions:

But I’m not sure which steps are necessary or exactly which order they should be performed in (security is still a concern of course). I am perfectly happy if I am the only user for now, since this will just be for personal projects anyways. If anyone has any additional clues, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for any additional advice!

Entware is the follow up of Optware, which is based on the openwrt buildroot and provides a way to add applications to low power headless devices. A popular example is a transmission torrent service or VPN service running directly on your router. It’s like a separate linux distro installed to the /opt directory and all of it’s applications are compiled to search their libraries in /opt/lib.
You can even install it on Android devices.

A Docker installation takes a bit more overhead but is much more powerful and has even more options available… so yeah, you should definitely go that route on a x64 platform.