G-Speed Shuttle XL and M1 MBP running MacOS Ventura

This worked for me and the G-SPEED Studio XL too, thanks a lot!

1 Like

You’re a wizard Ryan! And should be on the WD payroll!

1 Like

Does it work with Ventura yet?

Also, when installing the driver for the G-Raid Shuttle for the M1 Mac, do the security settings have to remain reduced after the driver is installed? Or can I re-enable the security settings after the driver has been installed and still use the G-Raid Shuttle?

Like can I put the System Integrity settings back to “Full” and change Allow All Kernel Extensions to “No” after the driver is installed and still use the drive normally?

It worked for me, as well.
I have a 12 TB G-Studio RAID.

Ohhhhhh Man, I was freaking out and Ryan you saved my mind!

I would try first deleting all the drivers and software related to the G-Studio.
Next, boot up in recovery mode and change the security settings.
To change the level of security on your startup disk:

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button until you see “Loading startup options”
  3. Click Options.
  4. Click Continue. …
  5. In the menu bar at the top, Select Utilities > Startup Security Utility.
  6. Select the startup disk. …
  7. Click Security Policy.
  8. Select Reduced Security.

I also have a G-Studio 12 Tb and here is a link to instructions that worked for me…

If it works, let me know. If you had to alter any steps in the instructions, I’ll update the document. I am betting that LOTS of people are having problems with this.

2 Likes

Thanks - we were getting quite a panic on!

This solution worked for me - running a G Speed Shuttle XL 24Tb, via a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter on a 2022 Mac Studio.

All of this after Apple support the morning simply shrugging and telling me I couldn’t roll back the OS and Western Digital promising a reply “within 1 to 3 business days”.

I deleted the G Raid Software Utility first and then installed the Promise driver. Rebooted, plugged in the drive, braced for it to crash the Mac again - but it’s all running sweetly.

Back working again, so 3 people have only lost a day…

Thank you so much for this info.

Ben.

any update, is it working already with ventura? looking to get a macstudio and update it as well to ventura?

I updated my M1 macbook Pro on Ventura. But G-raid software utility never gets open. Just Nothing happens. How can I use that software? I already followed upper recommendations.

Also worked for my 2022 Studio M1 Ultra and G-Speed Shuttle LX 24TB on Monterey. Altho I understand that FULL security permission is the default, I found mine on REDUCED at the outset.

Many THANKS!!!

Has anyone confirmed this to work with a G-SPEED Shuttle XL running on MacOS Ventura using Thunderbolt 2?

I cannot express how disappointed I am in Western Digital regarding their handling of this driver issue. They’ve had more than adequate warning of the need for an upgrade to the software, but instead they seem willing to let us twist in the wind.

Hi Ben,

Is this on Ventura that you got it to work? I’m in nearly the same position (Mac Studio M1 Ultra, G-Speed Shuttle XL, TB2->TB3 adapter)

Thanks!

… this worked for us:

Pick your version/driver based upon whether or not your enclosure is a G-Speed or G-Raid Shuttle. Ventura support is provided. We have.one of each so we installed both.

We also formatted our G-Raid and G-Speed Shuttles for APFS via Disk Utilities and verified all arrays and drives were good via the gspeed2util command line tool.

Up and running. No issues.

Are you running this on Ventura?

I have been through this procedure multiple times, and it does not work. Kernel panic in Ventura when the device is attached.

Yes, on Ventura.

A day or so later, Sandisk Europe support got in touch and were very helpful. They pointed me to new drivers which seem to be hidden away from the usual Google results. Here’s a cut and paste:

Thank you very much for your time on the phone today regarding your G-Speed Shuttle XL Thunderbolt 2 with which you initially had some connectivity issues and also you experienced some difficulties with the installation of the G-Raid Software Utility, causing you quite a big loss in productivity.

You did resolve the connectivity issue already by installing the PromiseSTEX thunderbolt driver so you were at least able to use the G-Speed Shuttle XL again. During our call, we also installed the G-Raid Software Utility.
Please find below the SanDisk Professional Downloads page from where you can download the latest drivers and G-Raid Software Utility should that be needed. In the link, please click on the G-Raid 4/8 Software Utility.

As discussed, should you experience any further difficulties or questions raise, please don’t hesitate to reply to this email. Should you want a call back, you can always mention a day and time frame when we can call you.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

The driver shown on that page is the same one I’ve downloaded, but never gotten to work. I think the DEXT driver must be the key.

1 Like

The way that the “support” teams from WD just make s**t up is inexcusable and horrifying. I cannot fathom why people aren’t fired over this.

Here’s the latest response I got from them:

Dear Eli Israel,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Simon N.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We would like to update you on the compatibility of our G-Speed Software Utility with Thunderbolt 2 Model . We regret to inform you that at this time, there will not be a driver available for our Thunderbolt 2 model for M1 Macs as the G-speed shuttle thunderbolt 2 is a discontinued model. We understand that this may be disappointing news, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

However, we would like to inform you that if you are able to move the drive to an Intel Mac with Venture OS, the G-Speed Software Utility will work seamlessly with Thunderbolt 2.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Simon N
Western Digital Service and Support
Support | Western Digital

How many ways can this go wrong?

1. They misunderstood the problem. I was asking about the driver, not the software utility.

2. They gave the wrong answer. According to others here, there IS a recent driver update.

3. They gave a useless answer. Oh, you mean all I have to do is buy ANOTHER computer with a chipset that Apple no longer wants to continue with and THAT will solve my problem?

Like I said, how do people not get FIRED for this level of poor service?

In case it’s not clear, I’m planning to transition off of this device as soon as I can, and I will NEVER buy anything from WD again.

Incompetent wretches.

1 Like

I had a Speed Shuttle 4 on order when I read this thread . After reading this info I canceled the order, because it looks as if it’s not safe to use the Shuttle with M1 and Ventura. How WD / G Tech can mess up this bad is really sad. Also, even before I cancelled I already had a very bad experience with their customer support. I wanted to know if they sell the caddies for the 3.5inch HDDs for their Shuttles separately so I could swap discs easily and so on. I wasn’t too surprised when they told me they don’t. The guy told me I would only be able to get those if I had a warranty issue. I then wanted to know what would happen AFTER the warranty runs out and I needed a substitute for these caddies. He honestly told me I would then be unable to get these either. After that conversation I was already on the verge of cancelling my order, but now this whole Ventura issue was just too much. Goodbye WD, please let us know when you come off your high horse again. Until then hello OWC

Thanks! It works for G-Raid Shuttle 4 for Mac Ventura 13.1 with M1 chipset!