G-Drive Pro Hanging up- preventing Time Machine Back up

Since upgrading to Mac OSX Sierra, I’m having challenges with a Time Machine backup to an external TB G-Drive Pro. Sometimes the back up runs ok, sometimes I get an error that the back up has failed because it can’t access the drive. The drive seems to hang up and freeze and that’s what is making Time Machine mad. I have to force eject the drive, shut it down and restart it to get things going. I have deleted my previous backup and started fresh, worked for a day or two, but now the same problem. What gives? Is it the drive or is it Time Machine? What can I do?

The way this drive is meant to be used is as a work horse edit drive, not a backup device. Due to the nature of its build. It uses 4 drives inside running in tandem in a RAID0 configuration in order to give it the performance it has.

Due to this the drives when not in use and in idle will spin down and when Time Machine attempts to do a backup after it has been idle it won’t spin up fast enough and be running in order for Time Machine to use it properly so you’ll get the errors.

This drive is more for a working drive for performance and usage and not a backup/archiving device. A standard G-Drive would be better for that situation.