FTP Setup basics (WD My cloud)

Hi
I want to set up FTP for remote access for a Mac OSX El Capitan and W7.

I’m only trying this because the web interface is really not user friendly and the WD software for Windows and Mac are quite poor
(Windows 7: WD My Cloud.exe works locally but is very slow. It used to work remotely too but was even slower, now hasn’t worked at all for months as it always fails at login, no idea why, it still works locally but v. slow. Mac OS has never worked with WD Access Setup, this in turn tried to install something else called WD App Manager, which doesn’t run at all).

I’d now like to try FTP
I’ve read the manual, it only says that I need to enable it in the MyCloud dashboard and set up a new account. I’ve done both of these but I can’t see how the new account is in anyway linked to the ftp access.

There is no other information on what to do.

I’m assuming that to set up an FTP access I need a name of the ftp server. How do I find this information? Clearly there has to be a way for access to my specific MyCloud device to be distinguished from potentially millions of others. Is this a service provided by Western Digital or does device owner have to arrange for access from the outside world into the LAN that the WD device is sitting on?

Background details
I’m using a WDMyCloud, firmware v04.04.04-101. Up til now I have only really be able to usefully access it locally from W7, Linux Mint by direct login from the LAN without using any WD software at all.

NEVER use the apps locally; there’s absolutely no need. Map the drive into your file system, and use your native file manager (File Explorer/Finder/whatever). These work far better than the app, and your mapped network drives can be accessed directly by all your programs, just like a local HDD.

Remote mapping was withdrawn with the introduction of ‘OS3’.

You may want to have a look at Nazar78’s WebDAV, which allows remote mapping; search the forums.

FTP is insecure; do you really want that…? Search the forums for details.

Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I’ve looked up WebDAV, I’d never heard of it before. I have also found one thread here about setting it up but its way over my head. I will see what I can work out.

In the mean-time, I am feeling rather mis-sold: on the box it said I could easily access my files anywhere (can’t recall the exact quote) but what it appears they really meant was “only via a web browser or with a lot of digging for computer savvy folks” neither of which strikes me as “easily”. It seems as if it was basically just rubbish, I’m quite angry and can’t see myself recommending this to anyone else, let alone buying anything else from WD.

As an aside, I was a bit puzzled by the FTP bit too, I assumed (unwisely I now see) that they really mean SFTP but were using a short hand, I thought no self-respecting major OEM would push out something that was insecure.

FTP is not a secure protocol. Use it only as a last resort for remote access.

If your having trouble with the WD My Cloud Desktop application. or with the WD My Cloud mobile apps for iOS/Android, or with the MyCloud.com web portal accessing your My Cloud then chances are there is a communications problem between the My Cloud and the internet through your local network firewall/router. Often these problems can be solved by configuring the MY Cloud for a static IP address and configuring port forwarding within the router. Start by assigning an IP address for the My cloud in the network router’s DHCP server, see the router’s administration page and user manual for more information. Configure the My Cloud to obtain the DHCP address automaticly after resevering an adress within the router. Then configure the remote access within the My Cloud Dashboard to manual and assign two port numbers, use those same two port numbers when configuring your router to pass those two ports to the My Cloud (port forwarding).

Sometimes one’s broadband provider may block certain inbound or outbound network ports that the My Cloud needs to communication with remote clients. If this is the case using alternate ports like 8080 and 4443 may work when configuring router port forwarding.

Read the My Cloud User Manual if you haven’t already, along with the My Cloud Dashboard Help for more information on how to setup and configure remote access.