Fed up with WD TV live device

Hello;

Like everyone else here, a couple of months ago I turned on my normally working WD tV live network device and saw the message to update the firmware to 1.03.49_V. After doing so the thing was a POS (operate very slowly or would lock up, would not turn off unless I physically unplugged the AC cable, would  not access my video and music shares on my file server, lost my username and password, etc.). Reading on the forums here it was suggested to downgrade the firmware back to the previous version 1.02.21 . After doing so the thing still doesn’t work like it used to. It rarely connects to my file server, or it takes an eternity to do so. It still reacts sluggisly, also when it does connect to my file share and I watch a HD movie (720p or 1080p mkv file) the audio is not in sync. I have looked for a resolution and I haven’t found one. Has this company came out with a fix for any of this? I am really fed up and about ready to contact WD to see if I can get this replaced or returned. My info is listed below.

Thanks,

Mav

Device: WDTV live

Current Firmware: 1.02.21

Connection: WIred connection with Cat 5 to Netgear 8 port 10/100 Fast Ethernet switch which connects to ATT Uverse Gateway and HDMI connection to Plasma TV.

Media location: Windows 7 PC with shared folders for music and movies (Media streamed through WDTV Live via media shares option across LAN)

Try the following one after the other:

reset the unit via the side button, press for about 4 seconds and then release with the unit fully booted up. The WDTV will reboot.

reset to factory defaults via the internal menu

unplug from power for some minutes - not seconds.

Sometimes this ‘overkill’ reset will cure problems with the WDTV especially after a firmware change.

Okay-I’ll give this a try and see what happens. Looks like someone from WD support saw this thread and has offered to help as well. I will contact them and let them know that I will try your sugestions first and see what happens.

Thanks,

Mav

Okay-I tried your suggestions. It worked for about an hour. Later when I powered in on again to watch something it was back to acting like a POS. So it didn’t help-thx anyways. I have been contacted by possibly 2 different WD tech people who saw my original post. Hopefully one of them can either get this thing working or get it replaced because I am fed up with it.

Mav

Well after a WD support person sent me out a replacement one I hooked it up. It is now working (menu is a touch slow), but I can access my network shares and it will play my blu-ray rips and other movies, but now I get no digital audio. I have to put it to “stereo” to get any audio out. So now it works but I can’t enjoy digital audio through my new Onkyo receiver. Whatever- think I am done with this thing.

The_Maverick wrote:

Well after a WD support person sent me out a replacement one I hooked it up. It is now working (menu is a touch slow), but I can access my network shares and it will play my blu-ray rips and other movies, but now I get no digital audio. I have to put it to “stereo” to get any audio out. So now it works but I can’t enjoy digital audio through my new Onkyo receiver. Whatever- think I am done with this thing.

Dude…

If it wasn’t for your bad luck, you’d have no luck.  I’d take another run at WD if it’s truly on the WDTV device and not receiver, cable, etc. side.  Are you trying to get digital out through hdmi or optical out?

The_Maverick wrote:

but now I get no digital audio. I have to put it to “stereo” to get any audio out. So now it works but I can’t enjoy digital audio through my new Onkyo receiver. Whatever- think I am done with this thing.

What container and what audio codecs are used for the files that have no digital audio?

You can use MediaInfo to check:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

If any of the files have AAC 5.1, that will not output anything because WD don’t have a license for it (I think it may bitstream but then you’d need a very recent, very high-end amp to decode it).

If you’re connected via Optical to the Onkyo (what model btw?), be aware that DDTrueHD is too high-bandwidth for an S/PDIF connection, needs to be HDMI direct to the amp.

MP4 containers seem to have issues outputting AC3/DD 5.1 (downmixes everything to stereo PCM, which even the WD guys agree is not intentional).

MKV seems to be the safest container.

If your files differ to the above, let us know what you’re working with and maybe someone will spot something that may help.  Post some MediaInfo outputs for the non-working files.

Dude…

If it wasn’t for your bad luck, you’d have no luck.  I’d take another run at WD if it’s truly on the WDTV device and not receiver, cable, etc. side.  Are you trying to get digital out through hdmi or optical out?

I am using HDMI dude…

PixelPower wrote:

What container and what audio codecs are used for the files that have no digital audio?

Will have to check. These are 720 blu-ray rips (usually mkv and .264 files)

You can use MediaInfo to check:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

Never heard of this app-will have to check it out.

If any of the files have AAC 5.1, that will not output anything because WD don’t have a license for it (I think it may bitstream but then you’d need a very recent, very high-end amp to decode it).

Not sure-will have to check using that app you mentioned

If you’re connected via Optical to the Onkyo (what model btw?), be aware that DDTrueHD is too high-bandwidth for an S/PDIF connection, needs to be HDMI direct to the amp.

Receiver-RC270. No SPDif-WD device is connected via HDMI to receiver

MP4 containers seem to have issues outputting AC3/DD 5.1 (downmixes everything to stereo PCM, which even the WD guys agree is not intentional).

MKV seems to be the safest container.

If your files differ to the above, let us know what you’re working with and maybe someone will spot something that may help.  Post some MediaInfo outputs for the non-working files.

Grant;

My answers are in red bold above.

Mav