Fan louder since huge data upload

Hello,
I’m using my WD Ultra ex2 8 TB since beginning of this year. I installed it in my living room in the TV cabinet and until now I was very happy with the noise level of the WD ultra.
I so far I only used about 0,5 TB.

Last Saturday, I uploaded 1 additional TB.
This took 24 hours to upload.
After the upload, the WD ultra started getting a lot louder.
At first I thought that this might be due to copying 1TB to the second raid or maybe data optimizing (initializing).

But the noise stayed on a lot louder level since then which is very annoying.
I turned it off 3 times and on again - no change.
I made system checks - everything ok.

When I restart the storage, it stays for about 30 minutes at around 41/42 degrees Celsius and 5400 RPM.
It then gets to 45/47 degrees Celsius and 8000 RPM. When I just opened the backend for checks, the fan reached 10000 RPM with the same temperature. System says still: „temperature normal“.

Shortly after this, temperature sank again to 42 degrees Celsius (probably because of opening the cabinet), but the fan went up to 11.500 RPM. CPU is at 100 % - I just don’t know why. Besides the upload, I changed no other setting.

I’m aware that the RPM raises with higher temperatures due to installation in the cabinet.
The thing is I didn’t have this phenomenon before the second data upload.

Silent mode is constantly activated.

What can I do?
Is it normal, that the fan RPM / CPU gets higher, the more data there is on it? I still have left 2.6 TB from 4 TB.

I tried to upload screenshots from the SMART data of the drives in here, but when I want so save after uploading, there is an error.

Hi @Michael3,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

Its absolutely normal. NAS indexing new files...thats may be during a few days

1 Like