External USB SSD not recogonized

I’ve got an EX4 with 16TB that I have configured as RAID 5 + 1 space, so I get about 8TB of accessible space. Well even though its RAID 5 I want to occasionally make an external backup that I can move off-site. So I found a nifty 8TB SSD Drive. But when I hook it up I get the following notification.

Unsupported File System
An unsupported file system has been detected on a USB device (vendor Vendor, model: Product, serial number: , file system: N/A, label: N/A). Please remove the USB device.

It came exFAT, so my reading showed that is not supported, so I used computer management to delete the volume and create a new one that I formatted as NTFS. Still no joy.

Of course the SSD is recognized in every computer I hook it up to. Its just my EX4 that does not like it.

Any one successfully using an SSD as an external USB Drive on an EX4?

Hi @esfinc,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I don’t think I can, I checked and I have an EX4 (Model: WDBWWD*) which can not be upgraded to OS5, so I’m on OS3 I’m unsupported. Can I open a case if I’m an EX4 on OS3?

Try reformatting the drive (full format, not quick format) and see if that helps. I don’t think its anything to do with OS3/OS5.